Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: weight
Under 9lbs 108 14.59%
9-11lbs 283 38.24%
11-13lbs 197 26.62%
13-15lbs 100 13.51%
over 15lbs 52 7.03%
Voters: 740. This poll is closed

Long Range Hunting Gun Weight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long Range Hunting Gun Weight

i'll go for it !!! but it still doesn't make you or i less accurate with either rifle . i'm hunting i'm not competing . i mean remington winchester browning and so on have been making rifles in the 7 to 9 lb range for decades . i know that they are factory rifles . our boy in the marines army have been issued m 700 i think since the 60's i quess its just two ways of looking at it
Old 06-08-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba41 View Post
'll go for it !!! but it still doesn't make you or i less accurate with either rifle . i'm hunting i'm not competing . i mean remington winchester browning and so on have been making rifles in the 7 to 9 lb range for decades . i know that they are factory rifles . our boy in the marines army have been issued m 700 i think since the 60's i quess its just two ways of looking at it
Yes it does. Otherwise no one would want a rifle more than 6 lbs for any reason. Heck why not 5 lbs if you can afford all that Ti and CF.

The Marrine issue M40 rifles are indeed Rem 700 actions, but they are far from "factory". I beleive the M40A1 is 14.5 lbs.

The Army M24 is also a Rem 700 action and I believe bare gun weight is in the 12lbs neighborhood.

Still think there are two ways to think about it?
Old 06-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Silver Member

now i got my answer thanks
Old 06-24-2013, 03:40 PM
Silver Member

Need to be careful with your rig's weight as States like Idaho have an upper weight limit. Idaho's is 16 lbs as I recall. My 30-06 goes 15 lbs all up (splinter stock & E.R. Shaw 1.25" X 27" barrel which weighs 9+ lbs alone) and when I was younger it was a sled to haul around the mountains. Holds dead still with any decent rest. After I turned 50 I keep my weights at 10 lbs or less for ease of carry. With optics, water, safety gear etc. a hunting TOE gets to 40 -50 lbs you have to haul around. Hope you have a horse!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkyn View Post
While I'm sure others can answer much better than I can, weight on its own, not even just in the barrel (and a heavier barrel has its own pile of benefits), is beneficial to accuracy. It comes down to simple Newtonian physics.

An object at rest wants to remain at rest. The more massive that object is, the harder it is to get it to move. When you get down into position, you really want that rifle at rest. Even assuming you are able to get into a perfect, fully supported field position you still have to exert a force on the rifle to break your trigger.

Is your trigger technique 100% flawless? Do you NEVER anticipate the shot? Let's go ahead and assume you are 100% perfect in your technique. The weight is still a benefit anyway. The heavier your rifle is, the less is will travel due to recoil during the dwell time of the bullet. Your rifle is much less likely to track incorrectly on your rest, or cause your bipod to hop if it is heavier.

If you still don't believe that a heavier rifle is inherently more accurate that the same quality of rifle on a diet, consider the sport of biathlon.

The fancy Anschutz most people use weighs in at over 8lbs. Its just a 22 and these athletes are also racing! Wouldn't they of anyone want the lightest rifle possible? Apparently not.
I shot on the high school rifle small bore and had friends that did biathalon, as well as air pistol and moving target air. The heavier weight was not necessarialy for accuracy but to slow the rifles movement down while shooting,biathalon is off hand which is not condusive to long range. If you are a rifleman you can do great with a light rifle, that is high quality. I saw guns in the light gun class this year out perform heavy in 1000 bench
Old 10-01-2013, 01:16 AM
Silver Member

In agreement with sp6X6 the pure physics are not with total gun weight but rather with "high polar moment of inertia". Take a tiny 22 for kids and add 10lbs of lead under the butt plate and that gun won't shoot or hold any better than before. Take a good look at Biathlon guns and you will see their weight is in the barrel and the stocks are super light weight Kevlar / Carbon fiber tooth picks. With the mass concentrated at the end of the barrel the Biathlon rifle has the same "Polar moment of inertia" as a benchrest sled gun. We Long Range Shooters could apply this same approach to our rifles and save a few pounds yet not compromise the performance of our rifles in the field. I gave up wood stocks for two reasons: 1) Weather resistance. 2) Weight transferred forward by lightening the stock (higher polar moment of inertia). Works every time. A ten pound lead ball starts rolling pretty easy but a rod six feet long made from ten pounds of lead does not turn over end for end readily.
Just for discussion.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Gold Member

13 lbs. Feels like Im carrying a boat anchor.