Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2003, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long Range Hunting

Oh yes I have a Nikon Laser 800 Rangefinder. It is nothing like what you guys have, but for my limited shooting ability, it works just fine. I have gotten it to give me readings on deer as far away as 850 yards as well. So I will probly keep it untill I can shoot out to that far, which is going to be a long while.

I have written down all the data you guys gave me on a piece of paper. I am going to buy some paper here real quick and start doing all the proper data. I'm sure it helps a lot.

When I get my wind meter by SKYMATE I will do a lot more practicing in the wind. I have very little knowledge about wind and shooting in wind for that matter. It is something I think is very hard to do. And I usually miss. I dont like to miss and when I do, I get kinda mad. I know it is going to make me a better shooter though. So anything that is going to help me, I am willing to do. Clay targets is a really good idea. I have always just used milk jugs because like you said it represents a deers vitals. I will try some clay pigeons though and see how those work out. Thanks a lot for all who replyed.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:15 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Long Range Hunting

have been a member on shooters.com for a while now, but they are not so happy with me for beliefs on long range hunting. If any of you went there, you would see. They all plot against me. I really like the fact that when I asked about the 300 RUM and 338 RUM on this site about longer distance shots on elk and bears, nobody here said you have no business shooting that far. You gave me insight and facts and thats what I was looking for. Most of all, you all didn't bash me. Over on shooters, I get the whole community in an uproar. I am shying away from that place more and more and spending most my time reading the posts in here. un-quote

I used to post there also, as well as a few other places, some of the poeple there are not that bad, they are stuck in a shotgun and slugs strut, were you can't do much over 100 yards or you are unethical...
A Rifle to them is a typical thin barrl 270, 30-30, 30-06, 7mm that has a cheap scope, shoots maybe 2 inches at 100 yrds..
So when you talk to them about picking coyotes off at 500 yrds or killing deer at 1000 yrds, they do not comprehend...
They do not shoot off of portable bench rests, shoot heavy bbl accurate factory or quality custom rugs with good optics, they do not have range finders, they do not have drop charts for bullet drop etc...

Do not get me wrong, I do know some people who are great long distance shooters, my friends buddy who has 3-4 custim rifles 220 swift improved with 8x32x56 Nightforce that shoots way under 1/2 at 100 ALL day long...
but the guy does NOT believe in long range HUNTING at all....
Why I do not know, but from his view he claimed it taKes hunting away from the sport...
He says the thrill of hunting is sneaking up on the animal, and seeing it close..
and that I am missing the whole point..
I tell him I have done all that kind of hunting since the 70's..
And that I don't need to be close enough to smell a coyotes ***** to be happy.

my hunting buddy was hunting long range with me, but not much anymore.. since after hunting with him, the guy is older and has a ton of hunting places to go...
he's a great marksman from a bench to targets, but from what my friend says he's shakes and get nervous when hunting and gets bad shots or misses alot, so maybe he is better to take short shots, some poeple are just not steady when they see a live animal in the sights...

Sounds like your a natural hunter, not very old and already killing game way way out there..
I too use a 25-06 (a Ruger with 6.5-20x50 Leopold that shoots around 1/2-2/3 MOA depending on load..
I use mainly Berger 115 VLD's at around 3100 fps... for my coyote loads.
later

scott