Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long-Range Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: Ethics of Long-Range Hunting

I understand that you do not think a 223 is a 1000 yard gun, but how many people would shoot a deer at a hundred yard with a 223. When the are guns out there that have more energy at a 1000 than your 223 does at 100. The sad fact is there are people out there that know they cant shoot at a 1000 yards so they just think that others cant do it they cant see past there own limitation. I'm not saying that is what is happening here but I have had this talk before and that does happen.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:31 PM

I am never hunting deer with a .223 - at any range. I have only ever used a 30-06 or a .270. I am not asking about shooting a deer at any range with a .223. My point was only that I shot a gun with what I would say is manageable accuracy at 500 yards. I didn't know how possible that was, since I'm new to this long-range thing. I was wondering if there are people capable of making shots on animals at 1000 yards. Not with a .223, but with a gun that has enough energy to kill at distance.

Also, I just read the ethics rule. My mistake. Let me adjust the question to simply ask if members are really able to control their fire enough to be confident in hitting a game animal at 1000 yards.

Again, I'm know a .223 is not a deer caliber, at any range. My question is only about how far members are confident in their ability to engage animals.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Silver Member

The answer is yes, to 1000 yds and beyond.
Not me, but there are multiple people here.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:38 PM

Thanks BlackSS - that's exactly what I'm asking.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Len (owner of this site) is dead set against not bringing up ethics. Always has been and always will be.

That said, long range hunting has less to do with ethics and more to do with responsibility.

Responsible actions mean doing things within your personal limits. This does not always apply to just shooting. It could be staying out of country which is too rugged for your abilities so that you dont have to be rescued or out of weather for which you dont have the proper gear.

I hate to admit that I have had wounded losses. Most hunters if they have been hunting long enough and often enough have had wounded losses. Sometimes crap happens. It happens at 20 yards and it happens at 800 yards. For the record, all of my wounded losses were at less than 200 yards. Never at long range.

My theory on why is because for a long range shot to happen, variables have to be acceptable, you have time to set up, get steady and have much more control over the situation than stumbling through the brush, jumping the game and trying to shoot a fleeing or otherwise startled critter. You actually have time to think things through and execute smoothly and skillfully.

With modern gun smithing techniques for pure accuracy, ultra consistent scopes, bullet proof mounting systems, pocket weather stations, field ballistic calculators, reliable and accurate range finders, high BC bullets for minimal wind drift and so many more tools, making clean kills at 600+ yards is easier than 100 yard off hand jump shot. Sometimes those shots present themselves and it is a good idea to practice those shots as well but for the most part, guys like us park ourselves on a vantage and glass. Once we find what we are looking for, we either figure out how to get closer if out of our responsible shooting range or we set up for the shot then and there. A persons responsible range will vary from person to person and their abilities and equipment. It also will depend on the varibles during the hunt. No one can tell you what your responsible range is and no one should tell me either. That is determined by a given indavidual. For some it will be 300 yards and others it will be 1300 yards or more.

To answer your question, sure there are losses you dont hear about. Keep in mind from everything I have seen or experienced, wounded losses happen less at long range than short range. Those who dont hunt long range cant believe it and those who do cannot explain it. You just need to get out there and try it for yourself.

M
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long-Range Hunting

HUDGE- with your .260 ( 30-06, 270) if it has a heavy krieger barrel ( or equivalent) of 26 inches or more; good ammo and sights; you will be surprized how far you can accurately shoot. the long range champion used this cartridge at camp perry. targets only show a capability. i shoot in matches all the time of 500 and 600 yards . because that is what is available to me. i am comfortable to those ranges. i have shot 1000 yards it is a LOT harder. have fun . and welcome.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long-Range Hunting

Hudge,

Yes, beyond 500 yds, out to 1000 yds (and further) game kill are entirely possible with the right equipment and trigger time. By trigger time I mean practice, and an intimate relationship between the shooter and his/her rifle.

As Michael said, with todays' gunsmithing and equipment/technology; it is quite a bit more possible than it was even just 10-15 years ago.

Group size at any given distance is only part of the equation though. It takes a good understanding of wind and it's effects on the bullets flight. It takes the patience to wait for the perfect shot opportunity. It takes an accurate method of range measurement (at beyond 500 yds, we can't misjudge the distance by 25 yds and still consistently hit exactly where we wanted to......ballistically impossible). It takes self control to know your own limits (based on your practice time). It takes high quality weapons with high quality sights, most use high power precision scopes. It takes good shooting form and high quality consistent ammo.

It also generally takes a fair amount of $$'s and time. $$'s to get the necessary equipment (quality isn't cheap) and alot of time to ensure we are using that equipment to the best of our abilities and fully trust it's capabilities.

If it's something you think you're interested in, then this site has alot of good information up for grabs. Most of the serious members are pretty helpful too. Just like anywhere, you'll find some smartass jokers though, so just ignore them.

Last edited by SBruce; 01-09-2011 at 04:21 PM.