Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

long range hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 04:19 PM
SPONSOR

Re: long range hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperjwt View Post
Well for the price of a LR-1000 ($6500) i could buy

Savage Model 12 Bench Rest 6.5-284 Norma ($1300)
Remington Model 700 Sendero 7mm Ultra Mag ($1200)
Weatherby Mark V Fibermark 30-378 Wby Mag ($1300)
Remington Model 700P MLR 338 Lapua ($1300)

and still have $1400 left over to do any work that may need to be done to them and buy bullets, brass and any other needed supplies.

So if you want to spend $6500 on a gun then why not get 4 or 5 for the price of the one. At least thats what i would do.
I understand your point, but the BOTW rifle is a custom action, barrel, stock, trigger, etc.
I don't think it is fair to compare BOTW, Len's, Kirby's or any other custom gun builder to factory rigs. My 2 Cents
Old 02-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Gold Member

The bare rifle is $4500 and the rifle with the Huskemaw scope mounted and leveled is $6500.

That's a good chunk more than I paid for my custom build pictured in my signature, including the Mark 4 and probably all of my reloading gear.

It seems like the LRH rifle is reared towards the people who want a turn key system and not have to work up loads and such.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 02-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARHEAD1371 View Post
The bare rifle is $4500 and the rifle with the Huskemaw scope mounted and leveled is $6500.

That's a good chunk more than I paid for my custom build pictured in my signature, including the Mark 4 and probably all of my reloading gear.

It seems like the LRH rifle is reared towards the people who want a turn key system and not have to work up loads and such.
I agree 100%. That's what I was getting at. My guess is that you got some good advise from Jim, where to start, as far as a load is concerned.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

If you want a turn key long range hunting system then it is a good deal. The calibers are really fine calibers for what we do.

If you are in a hurry and do not want to spend a year or two ordering parts and waiting on your turn at the smith then it is a good deal.

If you want a guarantee that a reputable person will stand behind then it is a good deal. And I assume most of us have been burned at least once by a gunsmith who would not stand behind his work.

If you are on a budget and have children to raise and orthodontist bills and a mortgage then you surely are not going to be buying a turn key rifle.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby built me an Edge on a 700LSS. Rifle($1750 total), scope ($1250 Leupold), reloading equipment (all) and components over the life of several barrels wouldn't come close to that amount of money. Even if I threw in my Savage 7mm Mag and all the fixins.
I too have a family and a budget. I can't just drop up-teen thousand dollars when I want. So I guess that makes me a little bias. I have to admit that I do try and buy the best I can afford and might drop what I consider big money on a rifle if so monitarily endowed...but then again, I don't think my name and endowed have ever been in the same sentence!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

So let me see if I understand the situation properly

Every time someone recommends that a person buy a rifle from Len

Bravo4
3fingervic
Jarhead 21
Liltank
sniperjwt

are all going to come up on the thread and recommend against buying a rifle from Len simply because they personally cannot afford it.

Is that the situation?

Do you not understand that running this large of a forum costs money and despite your not paying for any of it yourself that someone has to pay for it. Where do you think the money to pay for the forum comes from.

I suggest you take a second and apologize for your thoughtlessness and lack of appreciation.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Gold Member

The other thing Len is doing, which is a great move in my mind, is keeping all these rifles on the shelf or available in 4 weeks. As we all know, getting a rifle of this quality generally involves a long wait. Both from the perspective of business\marketing and furthering our sport, it is a great idea.