Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

A long range hunt - Nothing Killed Yet!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2007, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

A long range hunt - Nothing Killed Yet!

What I've learned so far is that its a far cry from dreaming about long range hunting than actually doing. Everything is just about flopped around opposite to what you'd figure.

Instead of traipsing all over the hills/mountains in this case and wearing your body out. Its just sit there and let the glass do the walkin'. There is enough wild life to keep things interesting. We are low on the mountain, there's too much snow and rain up there for two old geezers. Leaves still aren't off the trees yet and the pines are pretty thick. We figure we have 2 to 5 minutes to spot, decide to take the shot and take the shot on one side with distances from 265 to 1200 yds. On the other side we figure there is as much as 10 minutes to take the shot. Distances are form 760 or so to 1500 and beyond in places.

I've left my 270 Allen Mag up on the shooting spot for 5 days now. BB can't stand to be separated from his 7 Allen Mag so he lugs it up and down the hill twice a day.
BB has been on station since Oct 1 and I showed up on Oct 7. Its nice to say I was greeted with a good firm hand shake and not huggs and kisses.

Today is a total rain day so I came to town (4 hr round trip) to finish some work work that I started yesterday. Also, here's one for ya. Its a 2 hour drive down the mountain and up the North Fork of the Salmon to Salmon and there is cell phone coverage at our "hide". Hmmm, maybe a new office location........

Learning all about weight. Just spent some time at the local tire store with a chop saw creating a 5/16" stud to be able to dump the expensive dynatran tripod for a cheapie much lighter one that I have. I'll be able to put the fancy ball head on the cheapie and every thing will fit in the pack.

The two most important things in camp have been the golf umbrella for going between tent, cook/eating shelter and vehicles and Cargo Cold Weld, quick time. That's turning out to be just as handy as toilet paper. Will ad a hack saw and dremel tool to next years list of things.

BB's advantage over me, as I am where he was last year, is his experience w/F-Class. It sure shows. I just started clicking for range a couple of days ago. The final convincer was it was much more comfortable holding center reticle on the POA rather than something like 4.3 mils hold over. My PDA shows both MILS and MOA.

All shooting equipment has functioned perfectly so far, up to the point of actually shooting something.:(

Things aren't over until Nov 22 and I guess we're prepared to hang in until then.

One really learns what one can do with out on these kinds of veures. Examples, TV, Movies, deodorant, baths, changing clothes and all of those other girlie man things.

Later.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Gold Member

Sounds like you guys are hunkered in there pretty good. Keep at 'er and the shot will come!

Good luck.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:22 PM
PUBLISHER

Good to hear from you but...we'd love to see some pictures of anything...camp life...snow on the mountain...BB snoozing at his shooting station.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 10-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

isn't this about the time where someone's butt cheeks get caught on film so the rest of us can comment on?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:59 AM
Gold Member

Roy you mean you gonna stay there another month? Nov 22? and by the way if you are going to stay another month next time it rains get naked and take a shower. HARDCORE ROY! by the way we DO NOT want any pics of that!

Last edited by NYLES; 10-23-2007 at 09:07 AM.