Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range Hammer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Long range Hammer

Marine Sniper

Thanks for your advice. Your thinking is right down my alley. It is nice to hear the openion of a pro.
I do NOT want a .50 cal rifle, and have stated that several times in the posts above, the .50 caliber is NOT what I need and want.
I am considering 375 Cheytac, 408 Cheytac and 416 CheyTac rifles made by good custom builders. I do however need a rifle from a builder whom are abloe to export it to Europe.
416, 408 Cheytac or 375 Cheytac is enough gun for my needs - hunting at longe distances.

Cheeers,

Master Diver

Last edited by Master Diver; 12-07-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
You are setting yourself up for a huge expence down the road.....Why, you ask?? Simple. You choose the Chytec or the Barret.....Then he buys, or builds a 50 BMG. Now.....you will need to trump the 50 BMG....."Those are the rules"!!;) Big expence!!! Kind of tough to do, don't you think??

I would go directly to the 50 BMG......make HIM trump the 50 BMG. Hell, you can buy a turn key Armalite AR 50 for under 3 grand. Sure , you will need to buy all new loading and cleaning stuff. But hey....so what....."THOSE ARE THE RULES"

I am just a little curious.....where did you guys start at for guns.......BB guns.....22RF maybe?

Good luck with that!!
I hope you guys all realize that my post was written "tongue in cheek". I wasn't realy serious about actualy buying a 50 cal. It was written in regaurds to the "those are the rules" line which, if I had to guess , was also "tongue in cheek".

But realy....wouldn't it be cool to own a real tac driver BMG??? Practical......Not so much!!
Old 12-11-2008, 04:59 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
I hope you guys all realize that my post was written "tongue in cheek". I wasn't realy serious about actualy buying a 50 cal. It was written in regaurds to the "those are the rules" line which, if I had to guess , was also "tongue in cheek".

But realy....wouldn't it be cool to own a real tac driver BMG??? Practical......Not so much!!

Any gun is cool .
I wanted a .50 cal. at some point but when I realized that I could not use it for hunting in most countries, I lost interest. I have however hunted with my .500 Jeffery a smaller .50 cal 535 grn at 2400 fps.
The .408 on the other hand is legal most places, maybe not in the feature who knows.
I have made up my mind and are getting a 408 CheyTac, more will follow.

Cheers,

Master Diver
Old 12-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Diver View Post
Any gun is cool .
I wanted a .50 cal. at some point but when I realized that I could not use it for hunting in most countries, I lost interest. I have however hunted with my .500 Jeffery a smaller .50 cal 535 grn at 2400 fps.
The .408 on the other hand is legal most places, maybe not in the feature who knows.
I have made up my mind and are getting a 408 CheyTac, more will follow.

Cheers,

Master Diver
The only problem with the Cheytac would be the bullets.....If I did my homework correctly.....HAHA.....they pretty much only offer solid, non-expanding bullets. To be legal for big game around here, they must be designed to expand.

I could be wrong....
Old 12-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
The only problem with the Cheytac would be the bullets.....If I did my homework correctly.....HAHA.....they pretty much only offer solid, non-expanding bullets. To be legal for big game around here, they must be designed to expand.

I could be wrong....
You are wrong

GS Custom Bullets offer a solid 370 grn Copper bullet in .408, I will give it a spinn when I get the rifle.

Here is the link:
GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Specifications for use

Looks like this:

Cheers,

Master Diver

Old 12-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Diver View Post
You are wrong

GS Custom Bullets offer a solid 370 grn Copper bullet in .408, I will give it a spinn when I get the rifle.

Here is the link:
GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Specifications for use

Looks like this:

Cheers,

Master Diver

Yep....I was wrong!!!

BUT......................

In my defence (other than being an idiot)....

We now have gone down to "only" 631 BC. Kind of lost that ulta long range, monster bc that the factory round had.

I know, I know.....it is a POOR defence!!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

Montana Bullets has some awesome jacketed bullets for the 408, HPBT, Poly tips, bonded, ect. coming soon. I tested the HP for accuracy and exceeded my expectations.

Dave

"Let the good times roll"