Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Flat shooter??????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2006, 08:39 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Long Range Flat shooter??????

what i meant by the shallow or deep flutes is what I see on factory Savage rifles. their fluting is so shallow I couldnt imagine it removing much wieght or anything benefecial

Dan Lilja's heavy flutes that are on my 270AM are very deep and remove quite a bit of wieght.

take it easy
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 02-07-2006, 09:01 PM

Thanks a bunch guys for all the help, I am going with the 280AI with a 1-9 twist 5 groove 26" non fluted supermatch Pac-nor Remington varmint contour barrel in a H&S stock. I'll post a report and some pic's when its done! THANKS!
Old 02-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Bronze Member

Bearcat,

Good luck with your project! Welcome to the board and have fun searching through the info, I have been doing the same for the past 2 months. I will say though, you just about had a thorough hijacking of your thread.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] not quite though.
As you can see, we have members that don't hesitate to jump right in and go at it... all in a friendly way (most of the time!). Bart B brings up the finer points to barrel construction / fluting, and if you use the search engine and start looking at old posts for info on various things, barrels, cartridges etc., the gold mine of info is there...

Also, I think that I have managed to get the best quality links to gunsmiths / other gun websites than anywhere else... I have thoroughly enjoyed looking at the old posts (some of which have these links to other sites - ala Premier Reticles for scopes, Leupold Custom shop, etc.)

Good luck again and keep us posted...

EZ Shooter