Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range first hit mathematical forumulas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long range first hit mathematical formulas

[ QUOTE ]
BB question....

out here humidity deosn't play in as a factor we are dry as a bone..
I am wondering though....lets say we take our rifles to Alabama and humidity is 95% I think it would affect the trajectory.. no?

[/ QUOTE ]

It does effect it, but if I remember right it is less than, or about, an inch at 1000 yards.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Bronze Member

I have Horus Vision scopes on all my long range rifles. Using there program in my palm along with a Kestrel I manage to save the few brain cells I have left.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Gold Member

If you just have to have some math to do... here Is a thread I started on wind angles. In here is the math for calculating windage values for oblique, and other wind angles...
http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...=true#Post62421
But in all honesty, I usually go afield with my palm... and backup laminated come up cards.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:11 PM
Silver Member

From my hero Daniel Lilja[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> [b] As an aside, many people think that humidity has an effect on air density, and it does. But itís effect is really insignificant (no more than 1%) and in the opposite direction of what is commonly thought. That is, the more water there is in the air, the less dense that parcel of air is. Ö It is for that very reason that clouds float and steam rises.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Silver Member

Newbie here and first post. I guess I have a lot to learn. Based upon the information given, my ability, code of ethics, and gear; I wouldn't take the shot. There are just too many variables. Those variables, in combination with the accuracy of my rifle and my hold, have too high a probability of crippling the animal.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Silver Member

If you don't have a palm and Exbal program you can go to JBM's website and type in the hunting conditions elev., temp, pressure, etc. I have always had good luck and always been on target, I like to always confirm real world Zero's(100,300,500,700 yds) on hunting location before getting serious about killing game.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long range first hit mathematical forumulas

I'm on "manual exbal". But I've pre-done all the calculations for the separate variables in desirable gradiations. Read from standard atmosphere comeup, then read temperature/ airpressure and the corresponding correction this involves to standard. The math involved is probably the same as you do as US/British/Norwegian training is drafted from the same blueprint.
It works.