Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range first hit mathematical forumulas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2005, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long range first hit mathematical forumulas

i'm pretty new to this and go by my drop chart for distance.altitude is not a variable for me here in Pa. but i allow 1/4 moa for every 10 deg difference from my sight in temperature.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

I remember when I taught at Sniper school I used to think "I dread the day computers are used to do all the calculations we do now with a calculator, formulas, and expericance." Unfortunately it appears those days have come. No offence to anyone using Exbal, but we used to spend months on the range honing our skills to do what these little handheld programs will do. I have not used Exbal yet, but will. It is the end of an art.

The main problem we had back in the early 90's was accurate range estimation. If you know the size of the target mil-dots can be very accurate. Next was up hill down hill range estimation (and shooting), using mil-dots as the range estimation tool. We figured out if you took a vertical mil reading and multiplied it by the cosign twice it was accurate.

For windage we had a formula that was range x wind velocity x value of the wind in % divided by the constant for that range. The constant changed with each 25 yards in distance.

We shot at 10 in. wide moving targets (walking speed) out to 600 yards with a .308 Winchester. We used the spaces between the mil-dots to figure the lead. Most guys shot a one mil lead on a walking speed target to hit dead center at 600 yards (approx 26 in. lead)

We had a lot of other formulas that I am looking forward to testing against the computer.

We also did a lot of cold bore shot documentation. To cut to the chase; what we discovered was the higher quality barrels produced more accurate cold bore shots. A sniper rifle can not be effective if you have to shoot it a few times before the groups settle down and get accurate. With the real good barrels the cleaner the barrel the more often the cold bore shot was right in the middle of the group. For the lower quality barrels we found that by doing a lot of experimentation with cleaning procedures you could usually find a cleaning condition (i.e less than totally clean) that the barrel liked enough to produce a reasonably accurate cold bore shot.

There is more; but I am tired and going to bed

John
Old 09-16-2005, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Verry impressive, long range shooting really took some kowledge, I do remember the days when the first scientific calculators came out and at school they still wanted us to use the trigonometric tables. You're right that's in the past but in itself it was art. Too easy now, but I have to admit it's a lot of fun! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-17-2005, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

Re: Long range first hit mathematical formulas

One thing we can probably all agree on is that BDC are bogus for long range one shot kills. Good for TV tho I just got my 2nd ACI today - what a great product.
Humidity is not worth entering - it's noise.
Great info. I'm going to have to pay more attention to my first shot. If you want to know your first shot I'm guessing you <ul type="square">[*]Clean barrel between each shoot[*]Let the Barrel cool to ??? between shots[/list]
Old 09-17-2005, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

b1g_b0re,
I've got to get me one, the A.C.I. I mean. I just don't want to mount it on my scope and do not have the right base to do different. If I told you what I use for shooting at different angles you'd be laughing the rest of the weekend. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-17-2005, 07:12 AM

I have the ACI on the WM and the 308... invaluable tool when shooting in the hills out here...

BB... I never shoot from a clean barrel! If you know you are going to shoot your rifel within a few weeks leaving you barrel "dirty" won't really hurt it.. If I know I won't be shooting that rifle for a while I put her away clean...

after a range session.. I'll clean real good... then before I put the rifle up.. I'll fire a shot at 100 yards if I hit the bull I put her away if shes a bit off I'll fire one more...after about 5-10 mins to make sure the barrel is cold... typically I'm right in the middle.. then I put her away.
Since most of the groups you collect data on tend to be 5 shot groups or more they are dirty barrel groups. It makes no snese to go out shooting or hunting with a cold clean barrel... so I usually go out with a cold dirty barrel.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:48 AM

BB question....

out here humidity deosn't play in as a factor we are dry as a bone..
I am wondering though....lets say we take our rifles to Alabama and humidity is 95% I think it would affect the trajectory.. no?