Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range elk "mistake"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long range elk "mistake"

Major bummer man!!! Thanks for writing it up even though it's a lesson learned, sure would like to know exactly what happened! I've cut dozens of elk with bullets or major wounds in them that don't seem to affect them at all, my buddy has only shot one elk in three years that did not have some serious wound that they had healed from, hopefully it will be the case with this bull!! The number one bullet by far I've pulled out of elk that were healed up is the Partition.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 11-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Bronze Member

I lost the biggest bull of my life 2 years ago and had my dad been alive he would have been there to remind me "shoot again" if an elk is hit and still in sight shoot again, my first bull was shot at 475yards I shot him once, good hold solid hit my dad said "shoot him again" 3 times in all. 3 bullets were within 5 inches, he just wasnt ready to fall over . 2 years ago on the last day of the season, I got my chance in probably the best area for big bulls in all of Montana and was over confident in my shot "sounded like a good hit" he hunched up and walked slowly towards the timber. Same story as the op I fully expected him to be laying there dead.. nope jumped up and dropped off the side of a mountain I went back 6 times over the next 6 months never did find him neither did Henry my GSP he can find any dead animal if you get him close..I always hate hearing about a lost wounded animal. At least you have the nerve to tell your story so others can learn from your misfortune. I have only lost one animal I shot and I hope it to be my last...
Old 11-04-2011, 12:25 AM
Gold Member

Very unfortunate for all involved to say the least.

I do have one question though. To do all over again, would you take the same shot with the same rifle?
Old 11-04-2011, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

20+ years ago I read an Idaho F&G paper that stated only 1 in 5 bowhunters and 1 of 3 rifle hunters recovered the elk they shoot. The number came from the difference in collars turned in vs the number they went out post season and took off dead elk. Small study and we could debate methodology and such, but I think it supports 1) Elk are damn tough, 2) This North Idaho is tough country.
A camp member in an Wyoming guided hunt I was on years ago hit a small bull poorly with a 308 winchester. It moved about 6 hundred yards, lay down, was stalked again, and
finished. Visible the whole time. In the canyon country jungles recovery would have been much less likely.
I've also always wondered how many of those collared Elk were found by someone who looked back up to the road and just said OH HELL NO!
Great thread! Respects to elkaholic for posting it. He who has no sin probably hasn't had much opportunity. I'm certainly in no position to throw stones, and I like the positive way
this has been discussed to this point.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
20+ years ago I read an Idaho F&G paper that stated only 1 in 5 bowhunters and 1 of 3 rifle hunters recovered the elk they shoot. The number came from the difference in collars turned in vs the number they went out post season and took off dead elk. Small study and we could debate methodology and such, but I think it supports 1) Elk are damn tough, 2) This North Idaho is tough country.
A camp member in an Wyoming guided hunt I was on years ago hit a small bull poorly with a 308 winchester. It moved about 6 hundred yards, lay down, was stalked again, and
finished. Visible the whole time. In the canyon country jungles recovery would have been much less likely.
I've also always wondered how many of those collared Elk were found by someone who looked back up to the road and just said OH HELL NO!
Great thread! Respects to elkaholic for posting it. He who has no sin probably hasn't had much opportunity. I'm certainly in no position to throw stones, and I like the positive way
this has been discussed to this point.
I know for a fact there are a lot of people who will shoot one (insert game animal here) and upon getting to it decide it's not big enough to "waste my only tag on" and leave it.

Sickening but true.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Silver Member

Two points:

1) As so many have already said, credit to you for sharing the mistake and giving everyone here the reminders, lessons, etc. in hopes that we all might benefit from your experience.

2) The credibiltiy, value and quality of this forum, in my opinion, continues to grow. When you read through the comments posted in this thread, the feedback is oustanding. It would be easy to throw some smart a__ comment out but instead posters are appreciative, insightful and willing to share similar experiences, all to the better of the readers. What a great resource we have!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Very unfortunate for all involved to say the least.

I do have one question though. To do all over again, would you take the same shot with the same rifle?
I certainly wouldn't with a bullet, that I already knew through my testing, would not CONSISTENTLY expand at those velocities! The problem is, in 6.5, I don't know of a bullet with a high enough b.c., that WILL expand at that range? (maybe the A-Max but I haven't tested it enough) Also, I put myself in the position, when my .300 went down and I took the 6.5, thinking I would limit myself to a little closer shot. As I stated in my original post, I test fired at 880 yards before I left and put two shots spot on and three inches apart.The problem is, when a bull elk comes out and stands broadside on the last day of the season, it is pretty easy to extend your range by a little! Do I think the the 6.5 is capable of taking elk at that range with a 600+ b.c. bullet that expands properly? The answer is yes. Do I think it is the best choice? Absolutely not! As Shawn Carlock said, it is better to error on the side of horsepower..........Rich