Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range elk "mistake"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long range elk "mistake"

Quote:
so what say we bury the hatchet.
That's fine. I doubt either one of us is going to change our mind on what we believe about bullet performance.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Bronze Member

Elkaholic, you will get no criticism from me. No matter how we all try, sometimes unexpected bad things happen. It is how we all learn and teach others so the mistakes can be avoided in the future. MEV
Old 11-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry to here the bad luck. About 20 yrs ago I shot a nice 6 pt across a finger w/ my 7 mag,saw the hit .Young and full of juice I went over and caught bull in timber and wasnt fast enough on follow up. I was in knee deep snow, no problem, run him down. Well I chased him to south slope an no snow and lost him. Lots of lessons learned, and I was pushing my 7mm to limit. Went 338 from there on out. Taken 1/2 my 30 + ELK W/BOW.Few years back I shot a bull @ 9 yrdsand as he ran out I cow called and hit him again in "pocket "@ 40 yrd.Some cows spooked above me and I THOuGHT i herd bull go down. Temps where runnig in mid 80's. Looked that eve and recovered next mornig, near creek bottom, not one ounce of meat lost, bone sour zero,?? go figure??And I've seen guys loose meat just sittng in truck bed unskinned.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Has anyone on here taken a head shot on an Elk with a particular bullet? With success? At what range and bullet? You can email me if you prefer.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
Has anyone on here taken a head shot on an Elk with a particular bullet? With success? At what range and bullet? You can email me if you prefer.
Coastal Roosevelt, 3 point bull, 375 H&H, 350 grain Barnes Original, 2425 fps, 20 yards more or less, results.....priceless! Sorry, that's probably not what you were looking for, but I couldn't resist.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post

160 accubond, 7wsm, 35 yards (give or take), and quite effective. (what can i say? i've been an obsessive archery hunter for the last 20 years!)
Old 05-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Gold Member

Elkaholic, Thanks for sharing your lessons so we all can learn.

Lots of people have commented on the specific details of your hunt, but to me the big picture here is we are all hunters, and are never guaranteed success...

Regardless of the specifics, as long as we are putting forward our best effort, making a mistake is very valuable as long as we learn from it.

I had a similar result as you with a 60 yards shot on a bull a few years ago... And I felt horrible for a few weeks. Until I realized that if I could not accept a lost animal, then I should not be hunting... It's just an unfortunate reality that will happen to all of us if we hunt long enough.