Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range elk "mistake"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long range elk "mistake"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERHAND View Post
Rich, I have a bunch of hardcore archery buddies and I've asked them the same questions. Some of them tell me they salvage what they can, some of them tell me they salvage parts, and some of them (especially the E. Nebraska hunters) tell me there's nothing that can be saved because the meat has begun to rot by the next morning in the humidity of the river bottoms. They're up-front with me and atleast they're honest....they tell me its edible if they find it right away, and something if not everything will be wasted if they wait. In Colorado, Nebraska, and Southern Wyoming day temps on most archery hunts are in the 60-70 degree mark during the day with temps rarely going below 50 at night. Depending on if the shot introduced bacteria into the bloodstream, or how severe the wound is into any surrounding tissue, rotting begins within a few hours. Twice I have been called in to help retrieve animals shot by bowhunters...once on a huge bull elk, the other time on a white-tail. The bull was shot at 3:00 in the afternoon (74 degrees at 8600 feet), and was still walking pretty good, though my friend got a good shot. He chased him and bumped him out of his bed twice, and decided to pull out at dark and let him die, and come back in the morning. As soon as we got good tracking light in the morning around 8 a.m. we eventually found the bull dead as a hammer (double lung and the off-side shoulder). He was bloated up like a roly-poly. We began to skin out the hinds, and cape him for a mount. I thought the hind quarters would still be good as they did not appear to have any odor (though they were still steaming that morning), but the loins and front quarters already stunk of putrefaction. Long story short, even though the meat did not stink that we took, the meat gave the family food poisoning, and the hair ended up slipping on the cape that's in only about 15 hours.
The whitetail was skewered real good...an arrow out and out (double lung), but it got too dark to track him, so I agreed to help him find it in the morning....never dropped below 56 degrees that night. On the course of its death run it ran across the north platte river, and died in a cottonwood grove. Every piece of meat I attempted to remove from it at daybreak made me gag it was already so spoiled. No way you could have paid me to eat any of it. My buddy said for me to not waste my time because he said they have to leave them lay because its too hot and they spoil that quick all the time. Maybe those are some extenuating circumstances, but I always notice these guys bringing home way less meat than they should be, and they're always citing rot loss as the cause.
You are spot on! Anybody who says otherwise has never recovered one the next day. I have seen animals here in Id. that were recovered the same evening, gutted, and not gotten off the ground . (If you do not split the hide down the back off the neck to the shoulders, the elk will sour there EVERY time even in freezing temperatures by the next morning) The cases you mentioned ARE NOT extenuating circumstances! When I first started hunting here in Id. after moving here from Mi. some 36 years ago, I made that mistake myself and have seen several other cases of it since. You can get away with it on a deer in cold weather, but not an elk!

Last edited by elkaholic; 11-06-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2506 View Post
On the note of bowhunting and leaving animals. I absolutely love to bow hunt. In my opinion bow hunting is a lot like long range hunting. You have to practice A LOT and know your equipment and only take high percentage shots. Yes mistakes still happen but not very often. Just like rifle hunting the guys that put in the time and effort make better shots more frequently and wound less animals. I have never left an animal over night for fear of meat loss unless the temp was to be around or below freezing. Also same as with a gun If you put a good broadhead through both lungs the animal will die very quickly.
Well put! I was a bow hunter myself when I had time during that season but my work caused me to stop. I have no beef with bow hunters!......Rich
Old 11-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
Rich - Don't take this the wrong way. But, I'm glad it didn't work out for you this time.

Had you closed the deal like you very nearly did, you would have rightfully and proudly posted a very different story. And I'm afraid some of us would've taken that example as proof positive that 6.5mm is the ideal weapon for 1000 yds on Elk.

Hopefully the sacrifice of this one animal will give a few guys pause before they attempt the same feat.

We've all made mistakes or haven't hunted long. I'm confident you will prevail as you have many times before.

Thanks for sharing.
-- richard
Richard.....Very good point! I have to admit that I was thinking on the way to retrieve my elk what a great thread it will make! Humble Pie indeed.......Rich
Old 11-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Bronze Member

At first, I felt your pain. It takes balls to admit a mistake. But, as I read all the posts giving you a pass, I think I'll step in. You thought you were as good as the guys on TV and an elk paid for it. I know a guy that shot a mule deer in the face. He told me, "I'm sure he'll make it". I said, "Have you ever been shot in the face with a 300 mag?". You took a shot that you knew was "stretching it" with a 6.5x284. Just because we feel your pain doesn't mean that elk didn't feel a lot more. I for one am not giving you a pass.

Spotter Bob
Old 11-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93trojan View Post
At first, I felt your pain. It takes balls to admit a mistake. But, as I read all the posts giving you a pass, I think I'll step in. You thought you were as good as the guys on TV and an elk paid for it. I know a guy that shot a mule deer in the face. He told me, "I'm sure he'll make it". I said, "Have you ever been shot in the face with a 300 mag?". You took a shot that you knew was "stretching it" with a 6.5x284. Just because we feel your pain doesn't mean that elk didn't feel a lot more. I for one am not giving you a pass.

Spotter Bob
It wasn't a 6.5/.284 but I do respect your opinion and understand how you feel. Quite honestly, I expected to hear more people like yourself.......Rich

Last edited by elkaholic; 11-06-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
It wasn't a 6.5/.284 but I do respect your opinion and understand how you feel. Quite honestly, I expected to hear more people like yourself.......Rich
Spotter Bob.....It just occured to me that I didn't fully answer your question. Actually, I do think I'm as good as the guys on TV and that isn't bragging! I think the guys on TV probably don't show every shot they take. What do you think?........rich
Old 11-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
I do! Nothing wrong with them.

Microcystis's Channel - YouTube

I will tell you once again you don't have a clue what actually happened with the bullet because you never recovered the elk to see. You make a guess and call it a fact. That's what got the 1LT killed- making guesses.

Shawn related a story about a bear four or five years ago that should have been dead but wasn't and Kirby has retold a story he told once before of a very well hit animal that should have been dead but wasn't. I had the same thing happen with an antelope which I broke both front shoulder on. What happens with these animals is fairly easy to figure out if you ever see it yourself. Usually the bullet passes through both lungs making a large exit hole but when the animal falls, it falls on the wound and mashes the exit wound closed because it is underneath it and on the ground. The entrance wound closes as the hide moves to a new position and seals the small entrance wound. The animal lays there for a few hours and the internal wounds clot and the external wounds clot. This allows it to re-oxygenate the blood and it is good to go again if the limbs are not broken. When I was about 44 YO and running marathons I collapsed a lung but still managed to run 5-8 miles a day for several days until I went into the hospital and was put on a chest tube. So if you do not collapse both lungs by keeping the chest open to the atmosphere or hit enough blood vessels to get it to bleed to death internally it is very easy for the animal to recover sufficient strength to run for a good long distance.
Buffalo....Just realized I didn't fully respond to you either. How is it that after two tries you still don't seem to get what I posted from the first? How foolish is it to state that I "don't have a clue because I didn't recover the animal" which I have admitted, and yet you can determine, based on your above comments, this elaborate scenario of how an animal heals up and escapes completely healed? Did you catch up with him a couple years later and ask him or how does one go about getting that info? Just asking?......Rich