Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range elk hunting surprise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2004, 05:28 PM

Re: Long range elk hunting surprise.

Longone, what a story. I could feel the hair on the back of the neck raise as you talked about the antlers appearing over the ridge. I felt like I was there with you. That is one heck of a bull you took. I love hearing good hunting tales as I get to live it for a fleeting moment. Thanks for sharing that hunt with us.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:13 AM
Bronze Member

Wow, that's an awsomem story. I got cought flat footed in the Bitter Roots here in Idaho. Standing in the middle of a trail, I just went down on one knee and watched as the antlers aproched out of the timber. there was a small creek at the edge of the timber. He came at a trot and cleared that stream, about 15ft., and landed right in front of me! I was folling him the whole time with the rifle, was going to heart/lung him as he went by. But as he landed, he stoped right there, black dirt went flying foward over the snow from his hoves, and he looked right at me. Thats when I squezed the trigger, neck shot, laid where he stood. That was 11 paces. When I shot all the cows took off right at me! I had to stand and wave my arm's and holler "HAW", some of the cows went high some went low, came within a few feet of me, now that was a heart thumper. Sometimes there is a big surprize waiting for us out there in the hunting fields.

Bill
Old 04-13-2004, 08:27 AM

appreciate the responses.
That was quite a morning. Thanks for relaying some of your experiences as well.
Always fun to read others hunting stories.
Anybody else have some good ones?

CoBrad,
I was shooting my H-S Precision .300 Win Mag with 180gr Nosler Partitions.
I killed the bull with the first shot, but he trotted off about 10 yards and stopped again right at the top of an extreme drop off so I shot again throught the top of the shoulders to finish him on the spot.
One more step and he would have rolled hundreds of feet back down into the canyon.