Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Elk Gun Advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long Range Elk Gun Advise

Might be possible he's looking for a more than his .308 and wants the "capability" of 1500.

I know I could ask a similar question. Been short on cash before and only want to buy once. Maybe my capability's weren't there but wanted to be able to grow into it.

"musta bumped my scope'' Been there done that. Should have given them a chance. They might have been telling the truth.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:57 AM

Let me play a little defense for a moment. First, I understand the importance of being capable before taking a shot on any live target, from any distance. Second, I wasn't trying to come across as another wanna be trying to give the long range hunting community a bad name. Third, I understand the concerns that most have posted "against" my original post.

A little back ground info. I have a .308 that shoots really well. I have taken several deer beyond 600 yards, and my longest kill to date was my elk last season @ 847 yards. I admit a bit of a stretch my little .308, but the conditions were near perfect. Yes, I do know that the 168gr Nosler Silver Balistictip was still going just over 1400fps, w/ close to 735 ft/lbs of energy, and took aprox 1.28 seconds to get to the elk. However, It took a lot of trips to the desert, and hundreds of dollars to develop the load to make it possible. Well worth though!

My original post should have said. I would like to make the jump to the next level, and have the equipment necessary to make a 1500+ shot on an elk. (I don't plan to do so until i feel that I am capable) Problem is I can't afford the $5-8k custom rigs. Also, while handloading is usually the best option. It can get very expensive developing a load, and in some cases there are "factory" loads that are really good to start with. As was the case in the article "The One Mile Prairie Dog" where the Black Hills ammo was as good or better than his hand loads. Why reinvent the wheel? So, if you were looking to upgrade, on a limited budget, would the Savage be worth the money? Will it last? Or, would it be better to save up for a while longer and buy the custom gun?
Old 08-06-2012, 01:02 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
I am not saying that he should go ahead and shoot an elk at 1500 with factory ammo, he asked for a review of the savage so i gave him mine.
So you did. Good thread and very nice shooting.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

buster 1250,
Its good to see that you know your .308. The Ballistic Tips are a good bullet for low velocity expansion. I was not tyring to be a jerk, although I re-read my post and I certainly may have come across as one. For that Im sorry.

I dont think that any factory gun is going to be a good bet to get you out to 1500 yards. It may, but it will be a roll of the dice. I think that the 110's are a great platform for around the 1200 yards mark if they shoot well. or an absolute hammer under 1k. I would lean more towards an accumark in .338-.378, then you have a premium aciton to use if you need to re-barrel for accuracy sakes. If I were to buy a savage it would be the 110 BA (for ELR).

Chucknback,
I've bumped my scope before too.
I went shooting with these guys repeatedly and it was always the same, with different rifles. Even with my rifles.

I did however come across a guy that was a new huntiner and willing to learn. We shot at 680 yards the other weekend and he was holding MOA with his rifle and handloads.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Silver Member

The savage is an excellent platform to use. I would find a cheap one ad re-barrel it to 338 edge or similar and get the stock of your choice.

Even with the larger 338's like the edge, rum, and lapua, 1500 yards is pushing it. Honestly if that's your goal I'd say step up to something bigger like the Allen magnums. But that's just my opinion.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

Custom 338 RUM A good way to get up and running fast is a good rifle from the classifieds, they are usually well built and come with load data, just add scope and bipod.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster1250 View Post
Let me play a little defense for a moment. First, I understand the importance of being capable before taking a shot on any live target, from any distance. Second, I wasn't trying to come across as another wanna be trying to give the long range hunting community a bad name. Third, I understand the concerns that most have posted "against" my original post.

A little back ground info. I have a .308 that shoots really well. I have taken several deer beyond 600 yards, and my longest kill to date was my elk last season @ 847 yards. I admit a bit of a stretch my little .308, but the conditions were near perfect. Yes, I do know that the 168gr Nosler Silver Balistictip was still going just over 1400fps, w/ close to 735 ft/lbs of energy, and took aprox 1.28 seconds to get to the elk. However, It took a lot of trips to the desert, and hundreds of dollars to develop the load to make it possible. Well worth though!

My original post should have said. I would like to make the jump to the next level, and have the equipment necessary to make a 1500+ shot on an elk. (I don't plan to do so until i feel that I am capable) Problem is I can't afford the $5-8k custom rigs. Also, while handloading is usually the best option. It can get very expensive developing a load, and in some cases there are "factory" loads that are really good to start with. As was the case in the article "The One Mile Prairie Dog" where the Black Hills ammo was as good or better than his hand loads. Why reinvent the wheel? So, if you were looking to upgrade, on a limited budget, would the Savage be worth the money? Will it last? Or, would it be better to save up for a while longer and buy the custom gun?

Alright, now we're talking. Thank you for the background info.

As for advice, I agree with another post that a factory rifle will probably not be 1500 yard capable. It will require some customization (read: custom barrel).

Also agree with another post that to be 1500 yard capable, you need to think BIG. 338allen mag big.