Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Dangerous Game?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2005, 07:13 PM

Re: Long Range Dangerous Game?

ceg1963
You do something eveyday that most people would say "Hell No" to,and that is being a carrier Spec-Ops soldier. Some of the other guys on this site shoot Black Bear at long range, and I haven't heard anything about ethics on that subject. There were two black bears killed in my home state of Arkansas that went over 550lb's last fall. If I get one in my sights at 1000 yards, he is going down! When out for bears I believe that one should plan for a worst case senario and I believe my new 338Edge from Kirby should do the trick.
God Bless America! RLTW!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:57 AM

CEG, I also want to thank you for your service to our country. I always support our troops who risk their lives for our freedom.
I personally would not shoot a grizz past 200 yards.
But, I do not have the skills that you have. I will say after reading this that you are to be commended for taking the time to research and ask opinions before just going afield and blasting away. I'm sure that whatever decision you make and whatever range you impose as your limit will be carefully and dilligently planned. The main concern that I got from this thread was the issue of the wounded bear becoming a danger to someone else not involved in the hunt.

Chris, I do have to disagree with you concerning black bears eating you tiwce as fast???
I live in black bear country and come across them while bowhunting deer. You just move a little bit and they run for the hills. The dangerous black bears are the one's that don't run. I call these the yogi and boo-boo bears because a-holes feed them and they become desensitized to humans. They have to be put down as a result.
It's funny in a way since New Jersey had the bear hunt 2 years ago and had the anti-hunters protesting like mad. 300+ bears were killed that year in the first and only bear hunt in over 20 or 30 years. So if you do the math I'm sure that more bear had to be destroyed because these same idiots fed them and caused them to become nuisance bears.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Gold Member

Here is the guys I was talking about from the Safari internation meet.

http://www.nitroexpress.tv/
Old 06-02-2005, 05:51 PM

I watched the video. What a deushbag!
Its stuff like this that gives hunters a bad name.
It's macho slaughter not hunting. I'd like to see him try that with a grizz.

Better yet, I'd like to see him bowhunt whitetail. Something where he needs skill to get close to the game or call in a spring gobbler. Not just go to africa where there is more game than you know what to do with.

Hunting is about getting touch with the outdoors. Its not alligator wrestling. It should be peacful and rewarding. Sure you have the adrenalin factor where you see the game, but c'mon this is way over the top.

In his defense, however, I will give him credit for his balls! Which he may not have for long!

This is like the hunting version of the "girls gone wild" videos.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:09 AM
Silver Member

Let's consider a hypothetical situation. A long-range hunter who's verrry picky about the shot he will take. Everything must be right...

If he were able, shooting prone, from a bipod, with a rear bean bag, to put 3 shots in a 6" circle at 1200 yards, and 5 shots into 3" at 600 yards, each of those shots having a muzzle energy of around 12000 foot pounds and a BC of around 1.0 - don't you think that individual has at least as good a chance, if not better, than the average grizzly hunter with a lightweight .338 to kill a bear cleanly?

He's not being charged at 50 yards - he's calmly watching his target from, oh, let's say 600-800 yards, and only shoots when everything's right...

Of course, we're just speaking hypothetically here! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2005, 06:20 AM
Silver Member

Exactly!
Old 06-03-2005, 09:44 AM
Bronze Member

Ceg1963. Having served as a designated marksman-counter sniper from 1966-68. This was before sniper had a MOS, and there were any schools for sniper training. I have a modicum of a idea of you're personality. I wish the others here could understand that you are going to do what you said you are going to do no matter what. You are asking for help in accomplishing you're coal. You have resolved the ethics issue with yourself. There is no further need to discuss that subject.

Unfortunately I have no help to offer. Since I must hunt from a custom designed off road wheel chair now. I do videos for Lohman game calls from this chair.I am very interested in the guides that are working on bear hunts for the handicapped. I was offered a free Grisly hunt. If I would shoot it from my wheel chair with a bow. I accepted the hunt, But unfortunately we could not get the 240 pound chair into the hunting territory.

I think you know how I feel about you're service to freedom. I am going to make several calls to some great gunsmiths. Hopefully they will have impute on rifle design to help you achieve you're coal.

Ronnie Robison-Lohman Gold Staff.

"This we will defend"