Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

Long range coyote gun?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #22  
Old 12-22-2012, 05:52 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,450
Re: Long range coyote gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajnCaucasian View Post
Hell man now you got me looking at a 260. You people could cost me a few bucks
Don't tell anyone because it's a closely held secret but we're really just here to sell more guns for our sponsors.... .Shhh keep it under your hat.

My longest kill with it so far is at 760 on a doe and one at 740 on a coyote. The coyote took two though because the first one caught a gust of wind.

The funny part was that I was shooting into a quartering wind and he never heard the shot but he ran over to the bullet impact spot to see what made the "thwack" noise and kicked up the dust.

That made the follow up a no brainer.

I've had several long range coyote kills on followups for the same reason.

The rapid follow up advantage the AR platform offers is a real benefit on such shots.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-22-2012, 06:25 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lubbock,Texas
Posts: 12
Re: Long range coyote gun?

I'm thinking more of a savage lrp in 260 I'm just more of a bolt guy. Got an ar figured I'd love it and only shot it about 40 ends.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: sw ks
Posts: 314
Re: Long range coyote gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Don't tell anyone because it's a closely held secret but we're really just here to sell more guns for our sponsors.... .Shhh keep it under your hat.

My longest kill with it so far is at 760 on a doe and one at 740 on a coyote. The coyote took two though because the first one caught a gust of wind.

The funny part was that I was shooting into a quartering wind and he never heard the shot but he ran over to the bullet impact spot to see what made the "thwack" noise and kicked up the dust.

That made the follow up a no brainer.

I've had several long range coyote kills on followups for the same reason.

The rapid follow up advantage the AR platform offers is a real benefit on such shots.
Ive shot a buncha yotes like that. My longest kill was a yote out mousing in short grss reeeal early no wind. 1st shot he pricks his ears up and runs right to the bullet impact. Bulet was in air arounfd 5 seconds and wasnt supersonic so he became MY SPOTTER. Took a few to dial him in as 1st round was 40-50ft off. Works though especially if bullets under mach. They just hear a thump nd run right to it. You correct and wham. Iprobly wouldnt have killled any ELR yotes without this little trick.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: sw ks
Posts: 314
Re: Long range coyote gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
No that's a 250yds target. Sorry for the confusion. Here's the original post on the subject.

The New .260 AR

It does however hold MOA at 1,000.

There may be an AR that can shoot .25moa at 1,000 for 20rds in under 2 minutes but I haven't seen it and I doubt if I had it I've got the skill to take advantage of the additional capability.
I think the ar10 in a 6.5 could be a 1k target player in the right conditions. Ive shot some nice 1k groups with one when it was pure hell with a bolt gun. Catch a conditon for 20-30 secs and send em all. Sometimes works better than anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,450
Re: Long range coyote gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajnCaucasian View Post
I'm thinking more of a savage lrp in 260 I'm just more of a bolt guy. Got an ar figured I'd love it and only shot it about 40 ends.
I have 17 bolt guns, 9 OU and SS shotguns 13 pistols, and 2 AR's... HA! Call me an equal opportunity shooter.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,450
Re: Long range coyote gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddc View Post
I think the ar10 in a 6.5 could be a 1k target player in the right conditions. Ive shot some nice 1k groups with one when it was pure hell with a bolt gun. Catch a conditon for 20-30 secs and send em all. Sometimes works better than anything else.
Fair point. The heavy bull barrel takes a long time to cool down but it also takes a while to heat up and so far it continues to hold good groups even when pretty warm.

When target shooting it is somewhat difficult not to take advantage of that and the magazine capacity and over do it.

For anyone else considering building one for a varmint gun the only thing I'd say is that the 24" bull has it's advantages but it makes for a very heavy and front heavy platform that is no fun at all to pack for long distances but that disadvantage of course also lends to steadiness and with a decent brake even at 100yds you can see your impacts.

If I were only going to have one and do it again I'd go with a little lighter contour and a 20" deep fluted barrel for the sake of ease of carry and weight savings because with this case size the additional length isn't really giving much of a gain in velocity so it'd be worth the trade off.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: az
Posts: 2,161
Re: Long range coyote gun?

original poster??
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?
YES - 62.21%
976 Votes
NO - 37.79%
593 Votes
Total Votes: 1,569
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC