Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range coyote gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long range coyote gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisinaz View Post
I use 6.5-284 and 260AI. I shot a coyote last year at 1300 with the 6.5. Bullet penciled through but coyote didn't go far. That was really pushing it but out to 800 or so they are both just dynamite.
My hat is off to you. I have had kills at ,1300 plus but not on anything as small as a coyote.

Hell that's not just great shooting it's amazing. Again, my hat is off to you.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:49 PM

I've been wondering about a 260 I've never shot one. Like every other firearm someday I will. What kind of groups,affected by wind much?
Old 12-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajnCaucasian View Post
I've been wondering about a 260 I've never shot one. Like every other firearm someday I will. What kind of groups,affected by wind much?
Pick any round shooting the .264 and you will have one that can buck the wind well due to the very high BC's in the 130 and 140gr bullets.

I like the .260 best of all of them simply due to the economy of loading it.

You can get either the .260 brass or just neck down 308 brass for it and it's anything but a powder hog.

How they shoot group wise of course is up to the individual rifle, load, and shooter but they have been winning 1,000yds competitions since the wildcat was developed.

Mine shoots pretty well. This target is 20 rounds fired in about 1 minute 40 seconds and I did have about a 20mph half value left to right wind that day.

Here's the rifle. Nothing fancy but it does the job. I've done some "remodeling" to it since this but basically it's still the same gun.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Pick any round shooting the .264 and you will have one that can buck the wind well due to the very high BC's in the 130 and 140gr bullets.

I like the .260 best of all of them simply due to the economy of loading it.

You can get either the .260 brass or just neck down 308 brass for it and it's anything but a powder hog.

How they shoot group wise of course is up to the individual rifle, load, and shooter but they have been winning 1,000yds competitions since the wildcat was developed.

Mine shoots pretty well. This target is 20 rounds fired in about 1 minute 40 seconds and I did have about a 20mph half value left to right wind that day.
HOLYCRAP! Is that 1k? I gotta get out nshoot more.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:30 AM

I don't think that's a thousand yard target. If so that Texan is one bad mother,well you know the rest. Nice rifle for sure.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajnCaucasian View Post
I don't think that's a thousand yard target. If so that Texan is one bad mother,well you know the rest. Nice rifle for sure.
No that's a 250yds target. Sorry for the confusion. Here's the original post on the subject.

The New .260 AR

It does however hold MOA at 1,000.

There may be an AR that can shoot .25moa at 1,000 for 20rds in under 2 minutes but I haven't seen it and I doubt if I had it I've got the skill to take advantage of the additional capability.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:21 AM

Hell man now you got me looking at a 260. You people could cost me a few bucks