Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range coyote gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 10:35 AM

Re: Long range coyote gun?

I use 6.5-284 and 260AI. I shot a coyote last year at 1300 with the 6.5. Bullet penciled through but coyote didn't go far. That was really pushing it but out to 800 or so they are both just dynamite.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Silver Member

I missed that he may use it as a deer gun, not sure how. That changes my response. You others have made some good suggestions. I'd probably stick w/ a 6mm (probably a .260, but a .243 would work too). All will work as long as he's not concerned about fur, and I'd image that they've got some good fur up there.

All of this may not matter as he's thus far we haven't heard back from him.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member

Here ya go:

243 105grn VLD
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:51 AM

Everyone talks about fur damage if you popping long range yotes that's just a chance we take. If your worried about this then call them in and CHOOT'EM with a. 17 hmr. The 243 is plenty good for deer out to a couple hundred yards and yotes way further. I'll let you in on a little secret used by smaller caliber hunter for years, don't go for a double lung shot hit them in the neck. (Deer). Coyotes don't matter. I've lived in Texas most of my life and I'm as use to 500-800 yard shots as most northerners are to 50 yarders but, I just can't see you needing a freakin 7mag. If worse comes to worse bust out the ol' 308
Old 12-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajnCaucasian View Post
Everyone talks about fur damage if you popping long range yotes that's just a chance we take. If your worried about this then call them in and CHOOT'EM with a. 17 hmr. The 243 is plenty good for deer out to a couple hundred yards and yotes way further. I'll let you in on a little secret used by smaller caliber hunter for years, don't go for a double lung shot hit them in the neck. (Deer). Coyotes don't matter. I've lived in Texas most of my life and I'm as use to 500-800 yard shots as most northerners are to 50 yarders but, I just can't see you needing a freakin 7mag. If worse comes to worse bust out the ol' 308
Here Here!
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Bronze Member

My vote for a perfect long range coyote gun goes to the 25-06, then followed by the 243, 260, and 308. All are easy to load for and have good factory ammo available so you wont break the bank getting to learn your gun on the range, also they can all tap into medium game out to a good distance too. A little on the big side for fur though, if your looking for a fur gun ive used and have seen how good a 204 ruger works for furs, .20 hole in and nothing out yet the coyote is DRT
Old 12-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
Bshield-coyotes are a small and challenging target. their sure kill zone is the size and shape of 120 once water bottle. even a 200 yard shot is pretty far . i have shot over 250 , longest 496 yards. you do not say budget or if you handload. you do not say what long range is. a remington hvy barrel 243, or a rem 700 with a krieger barrel in the caliber of your choice. a good combo coyote/deer gun would a be a sendero in 264 or 7mm. FEW if any factory rifles have the accuracy to shoot coyotes regularly at long range. Few rifleman have the practice/skill to do it regularly. when you add in the suggestion of a combo gun ............. i have two 6.5-284's with krieger barrrels.
Good Suggestions. The .260 belongs in there as well. That was the main reason I build my AR-260 and it has proven to be everything I'd hoped for.

Kinda nice it's good for white tails out to 800-900yds as well.