Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range capability = shooting oppurtunities and success?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Gold Member

Re: Long range capability = shooting oppurtunities and success?

What SHOULD BE rather obvious to any hunter is that....for me....I'd prefer all my shots on game to be inside 200 yards....rather than way over yonder on the next ridge over! In other words I don't set myself up 800-1000 yds. from where I expect game to appear however if a fine animal presents itself at long range....if conditions are right...I feel competent that I can make the shot! I learned long range shooting with an 03A3 Springfield using the aperture rear sight and a post front and even back then....if the animal was standing still/broadside....that ole Springfield would tap a mulie easy from 500 yards so with all of the latest technology that exist today with rangefinders and scopes with objective lenses as big as a lard bucket....at times some of these post have me scratching my head wondering.......what's the problem???...when someone ask maybe is an '06 suitable for long range shooting!! Once upon a time I made a post of a photo showing a nice mulie (not on this forum) and someone asked me what the distance was when the shot was made and I replied that it was a little over 600 yards. The 'inquisitive' person replied..."why that's not even ethical...the deer didn't even know where you were!" My reply back was.....that he was correct in one part of his comment; that the buck didn't know where I was and that's the way I preferred it to be then...or in the future! In the final analysis I don't take shots at game to see if I can hit it....rather I test myself, my rifle, and my loads on steel and IMO...that's the way it should be!!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

I appreciate yals replies, I hope I havn't misled yal in anyway. Let me state that I have killed deer here in Arkansas and have been a hard trapper all my life and a predator hunter for the last 13 years so I do understand animal habitat and travel routes etc... I just do not enjoy sitting in a tree stand waiting for a deer to come by. I much prefer to take an active role in my hunting such as spot and stalk and this country doesn't lend it's self well to that type of hunting. I also don't want to hunt animals at distance just because they are at distance but it made since to me as was stated by some in this thread that the simple fact that if your in open country and have ability to take longer shots you can kill animals you may not normaly be able to take if you or your equipment were limited to 200yd shots. Agin thank's for yals responses. Brad
Old 01-24-2011, 12:35 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBrad View Post
I appreciate yals replies, I hope I havn't misled yal in anyway. Let me state that I have killed deer here in Arkansas and have been a hard trapper all my life and a predator hunter for the last 13 years so I do understand animal habitat and travel routes etc... I just do not enjoy sitting in a tree stand waiting for a deer to come by. I much prefer to take an active role in my hunting such as spot and stalk and this country doesn't lend it's self well to that type of hunting. I also don't want to hunt animals at distance just because they are at distance but it made since to me as was stated by some in this thread that the simple fact that if your in open country and have ability to take longer shots you can kill animals you may not normaly be able to take if you or your equipment were limited to 200yd shots. Agin thank's for yals responses. Brad
Brad

If you're betwixt the Louisiana line and Pine Bluff.....I'm WELL ACQUAINTED with all of that region.....mostly thick pine w/hardwood bottoms and thicker than fleas on a dogs back! Probably...if the truth be known....000 buckshot would be the best order of the day! Rifle-wise...a M94 Winchester would be all you'd need!!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Silver Member

Sharps man you are correct. My 25-06 does great here. This rifle would be for hunting west and spot and stalk on those found in open pasture. While in Oklahoma recently where I grew up. I saw herds of deer and several coyotes out mousing on ours and surrounding ranches at the 650yd mark and thought that if I had the equipment and skills I could of taken them. Brad
Old 01-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBrad View Post
Sharps man you are correct. My 25-06 does great here. This rifle would be for hunting west and spot and stalk on those found in open pasture. While in Oklahoma recently where I grew up. I saw herds of deer and several coyotes out mousing on ours and surrounding ranches at the 650yd mark and thought that if I had the equipment and skills I could of taken them. Brad
Hey Brad,

I've used nothing but 25-06 out here in Wyoming for about 20 years. A few deer every year and a few antelope too over the years. The only times I thought I might be undergunned was if I wanted to shoot beyond 600 yds. I underline wanted because I've never had to shoot game beyond that distance.

In fact, this last fall we were playing with a 338 Edge and purposely looking for longer shots just for something new. Only 1 time did we have to make a long shot (625 if I remember right) but most of the time, we were actually needing to purposely extend the range to shoot that far or further. Truth is, a couple of times we were driving past and within 300 yds of game in order to set up for a longer shot on the same animals......LoL.

There are other areas however that it doesn't work that way. We were in an area where the game see vehicles alot. Other places, antelope see a truck from 600yds away and they're headed for the next county!
Old 01-25-2011, 12:49 AM
Silver Member

SBruce, I understand what you are saying. The deer seen in Oklahoma were more than glad to let you watch them but if you went towards them they were moving out. While deer hunting neaqr Canadian Tx. this year the land owner also showed us several deer and antelopes that were just specs in the distance to the naked eye. You could of closed the distance on these animals however at some point they would of decided that somewhere else is where they wanted to be. Brad
Old 01-25-2011, 10:22 AM

I would like to hear about this also. Thanks for posting the question.