Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range capability = shooting oppurtunities and success?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

Long range capability = shooting oppurtunities and success?

Howdy Folks, Just getting very interested in long range hunting.
The thought of hunting public lands in the west for mule deer and elk really appeal to me.
For those of you who hunt in open country, have you found that having the equipment and ability to shoot out to 800-1000yds has greatly increased your shot oppurtunities and have led to sucess that you would not of had if you only had the ability to shoot to 250-300 yds? Thank's Brad
Old 01-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long range capability = shooting oppurtunities and success?

I can't answer your question specifically to hunting out west, but anytime you can survey more ground and reach your intended target, the greater your chance for success. With that said, you have to be efficient in your ability to confidently shoot accurately to those distances. I know for me, ground hog are easier to find when I can scan several fields, verses one or two fields with shorter distances. This past deer season I was able to find a few more deer, but finding shooters in PA can be a challenge recently. More importantly have a good place with good open views of the mountain are essential in successfully hunting wooded areas. My brother-in-law has been very successful hunting with his brothers being able to reach out and not being limited. They have shot elk as far as 1550yds. Matter of fact my brother-in-law dropped a muley in his bed at 1400yds.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Silver Member

Thank's Liltank, Here in Arkansas with few exceptions ( open fields, large late winter open hardwoods) you'll rarely see a deer at more than 200yds usually much less but, I was thinking that huting public lands in the west with long range equipment and shooting abilty would allow me to hunt in a way that suites me ( I don't care for sitting in a tree stand all day waiting for something to wander by) and give me better odds for success and oppurtunity for bagging real trophy animals. Brad
Old 01-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Gold Member

RangerBrad,

The short simple answer to your question is YES, being able to shoot long distances can and will increase your shot opportunities.

I have done a fair amount of western hunting and have taken many animals in the 500 to 1000 yard range. I could have gotten closer to probably less than half, although that is difficult to say for sure. Some were across canyons that by the time I could have hiked around to get closer, who knows where the elk or deer would have been.

After having hunted "long range" for several years now, I would feel very "handicapped" if I had to carry set up capable of only 200 yards out west.

All that said..... it is not a short nor inexpensive journey. The proper equipment is an absolute necessity, and learning to read the conditions in western "canyon" country takes time and experience.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Gold Member

Would you like to run the Indianapolis 500 on a John Deere lawn mower??
Old 01-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

Hunting all my life in the west I would say that learning to take game at extended ranges has left me with less shot opportunities and I've passed on way more shots than ever before!! Reason, I now know my limits now and I'm looking for that 100% long range cold bore kill and I've become stupid picky about my shots, if the shot I want doesn't present it's a no go.
The potential is there for more and easier shots but for me the reality is long range hunting is way more work with less shots, but nothing beats the perfectly executed LR cold bore shot!!!
And I can now shoot elk in places that are harder to get them out of than before
Old 01-23-2011, 01:09 AM
Silver Member

Bigngreen has had the same experiences I have. The better I get at long range shots the more picky I become in the game I will shoot.
Some people take the shot just because it's 500 or 800 or whatever your magic number of yards is. I personally will only shoot if the animal is of the quality I am after and the shot is good.
I sat and watched a really nice Blacktail that was a real good 3x3 for almost an hour bedded under a manzanita bush. He was pretty incredible to watch but I was after a 4x4.
Antelope hunting will definitely improve once you can shoot over 400 yards. They can spot you really easy.
When you see that buck or whatever of a lifetime it won't matter how far away he is, you will be able to calculate everything you need to make the shot. The confidence to make the shot will help you out a lot.