Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Bow Shot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2004, 02:57 PM
Bronze Member

Long Range Bow Shot

Got this certificate yesterday from Pope & Young. Since it was a 25 yard shot, that qualifies as "Long Range" in my book!!

Old 03-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: Long Range Bow Shot

Must be a great looking rack. However I must ask, does 25 yards REALLY qualify as long range to you with a bow? Was it traditional or sights? I won't go hunting unless I can put 6 arrows in a palm-sized group at 30 yards and when I practiced more I'd do that at 50. Traditional is another matter though...
Just curious how you qualify it as long range. Congrats on the buck though.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

Congrats Bud! I have never shot anything worthy of being measured. But if we are going to throw the qualification of long range in there...I'll take the opportunity of posting a pic of my biggest ever and longest archery buck.

Long story short. Got a call the last day of the season 2002 by my inlaws. "Huge buck across the road in the briars." Somebody already hit it and it's just gonna die somewhere." Went over, stalked it, thick as heck, it spooked, I doubled back, saw it as it appeared in the only 3 foot opening in the vines/berry briars I could see. Drew set 50 yard pin on it slowly raised further saying to myself, that, is, one, hell, of, a, long, ways...and let it fly. I had figured someone had already indeed hit it as it was carrying its leg, never using the right front a bit. Turns out it was hit....a year or two earlier, with a car and the leg was just deformed.

[ 03-23-2004: Message edited by: HoytemanPA ]
Old 03-24-2004, 08:34 AM
Bronze Member

ATH: 25 yards is my self-imposed limit. I practice at least 9 months of the year with my bow, and get consistent 4" groups out to 25 yards. The area where I hunt usually doesn't offer longer bow shots, it's so thick. Here's a picture of the buck that is referenced in the P&Y certificate.

Old 03-24-2004, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

Bud

Once again... Nice buck. 158 2/8ths is a Real Nice Buck.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Man, beautiful animal. Congrats.

I've been lucky enuf to have taken 7 bull elk with both traditional and modern equipment, as well as backpacking many of the isolated CO mtns. in pursuit of big game. Never took anything big yet, but several of the hunts were BIG in experience, and hard-earned on the back.

My longest bow kill was 60+ yds. on a pr. dog. If any of you guys have ever shot pr. dogs with a bow-- you'll know what i mean when i say it's fun with a capital F.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:09 AM
Bronze Member

Dave: Thanks for the extra inch, but it's "only" 157 2/8 P&Y.