Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range ammo? Need help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 05:42 PM

Re: Long range ammo? Need help!

Try the 6.5 Creedmore (by Hornady). 1000 yards or meters no problema. Ruger M77 Mark 11 Target Rifle Mod. # 17980 is the one for long range. Ammo, match grade, around $25.00 per box (20) plus tax.

If you have bucks to burn, go custom....

PS: You will need a good long range scope as well.

PPS: Ruger has their own scope mounting sys. Be absolutely sure to ensure your scope can be mated to the rifle. Had to alter my Ruger to a pic. rail. Extra cost $150.00 by Ken Farrell Inc. (kenfarrell.com).
Old 06-24-2010, 07:36 PM

XMC..... I can't begin to say thanks enough for all the input. Glad you decided to join the forum. It's guys like you that got me here!

As for the concentricity gauge, if I buy factory match grade ammo, will this get me fairly close to the accuracy I could get if I am loading my own. I still intend to load my own, but definately want to do my research, read, and absorb as much knowledge as possible before I start. In the mean time I still want to get some practive in so.......

Thanks again!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Bronze Member

Hi Hunter3421,
The concentricity gauge will help to eliminate a lot of those “what the heck” flyers but once you start reloading and find the one tenth of a grain difference that makes your cartridge basically custom made for your rifle alone you’ll never look back at factory ammo unless it’s just something to play with and collect the brass…
It’s also a great clean hobby and lot of fun to work on loads… you had mentioned competitive shooting; once you start going and running with these guys you’ll notice very few using factory ammo. Made a new friend a while back that shoots competition; him and his buddy even go as far as going to these events with their ammo in a temp controlled unit to keep every aspect as consistent as possible… sounds crazy but some powders are more temp sensitive than others meaning more or less feet per second depending on ambient temperatures. I don’t go that far for hunting but if I develop a load in the summer and find that sweet spot in grains of a particular powder that I want to hunt with I’ll take my ammo to the range in a cooler to check it before deciding on it as my load for the upcoming falls hunt and check it again closing in on the date at similar altitude.
Don’t let all the little extra things you can do keep you from getting started, you can call a lot of the reloading manufacturers like Dillon directly and they are always friendly to people that are just getting started and are very patient in explanations of the equipment you’ll need and how too’s… there are a lot of videos out there too, even some on you-tube you can get the idea with… It’s really not hard once you get started.
If you get started and need any help I believe this site has a vast amount of collective experience to help you out too, many with much more reloading under their hat than I but I’ll be happy to throw my two cents in too…
We’re not done learning till the day we die so hey, till then let’s have fun doing it…

Last edited by XMC; 06-24-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

We’re not done learning till the day we die so hey, till then let’s have fun doing it…

Well said XMC.