Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

long rang hand cannon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2003, 05:51 AM

Re: long rang hand cannon

looking for some addvice on the thompson encore.i live in minnesota and i am restricted to shotguns and hand guns. were i hunt i have had a couple good chances at some very good bucks but have been way to far for a shotgun 2-300 yards. in that range of 2-300 yards what would be the best calliber in an encore that will shoot 2-400 yards that doesnt have a recoil that will tear my arm off? i was thinking of a 308 or would the 270 or 243 be better? i dont know allot about riffles i have hunted with shotguns all my life so try to bare with my question. thanx!
Old 11-28-2003, 08:10 AM
Gold Member

If I were going to have an Custom Encore Barrel for long range Deer hunting I would consider having a 284 if you want a small cal but would go with the larger cal like the 300 WSM with a Brake and a 3x12 Burris hang gun scope or a 338 Win mag or 338 WSM if you reload. I would recommend using a Nosler BT in 180g. SSK or Bull Barry would be a good place to start. These pistols don't recoil that bad with a good brake you may be able to shoot a rifle scope, one with a longer eye relief like the Leupold but I would shoot with a pistol scope first. IF you can find a older XP 100 That would make a excellent platform for a long range hand gun. You could have a gunsmith put a pined recoil lug and true the action. Then you would have the option for a switch barrel set up.
Crow Mag
Old 11-28-2003, 08:30 AM
Silver Member

chris_987,

I would go with something like this..

Encore in 7mm08 15"bbl will shoot 139grainers @ 2560 and will clover leaf 3 shots @ 200yds.. I have missed claybirds on the back bank @ williamsport by 2 feet but isnt bad considering I couldnt see the target when I fired it lol.. Actually Boyd said it "wouldnt" reach 1000yds so after the match was over I had a gentleman up there spot for me to see if I could hit the bank or not.. If I had it setup with a better scope I could of hit the claybird but aiming halfway up a tree with the bird out of site it would of been luck for me to hit it.. I would limit it 400-500yds in its current configuration...

6.5 Bandit

[ 11-28-2003: Message edited by: 6.5 Bandit ]
Old 11-28-2003, 10:25 AM
SPONSOR

crow mag,
My longest mule deer with my 7-08 XP SS Center-Grip (700 yards) was using a 4x Leupold scope. Although I don't use that scope for LR hunting, it is surprising what you can do with the lower magnifications if you are prepared. I really like the 3-12 LER with Ballistic Plex complimented with EXBAL.
Ernie
Old 11-29-2003, 12:05 AM
Bronze Member

I shoot a 309JDJ (modified 444marlin) out of an original Contender. It will push 150sst's at 2420fps. Not super fast, but I shoot the gun with no brake. Off of a bench it shoots MOA to 400yards. This is the furthest I've shot it to. I shoot a simple bushnell 2-6x scope. You definately need more than that for shooting past 400 yards. The elevation adjustment is also a pain. (41 cliks at 400 yards) This gun is definately fun to shoot and I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on an antelope that far away with a good rest. Check out SSK industries...he's a pleasure to work with.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:25 PM
Gold Member

You can convert the pistol to a rifle but not a rifle to a pistol I would order the hole pistol from SSK and have it done right the first time. One of JDs Mini-Dreadnought would be a very nice deer cartridge [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] http://www.sskindustries.com/encore.html
Crow Mag
Old 12-01-2003, 12:46 AM

thank you all that replied to my questions in regaurds to wich calliber encore pistol to use.when i buy one of these encore pistols do i just have to buy the stock, forearm,and long barrel to convert to the long gun or do i have to buy the whole gun for like shotgun or muzzleloader?