Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

long rang hand cannon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2003, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: long rang hand cannon

JB,

That's exactly what I was thinking too, but was told the restriction is as was stated for pistols. I'd guess someone don't want people to have rifle accuracy at LR in a pistol that could be concealed under a trench coat or something to that effect.

Coyoter,
I think a milk jug at 1000 yards with a rifle is not much of a problem, nor would it be with a long, heavy match barreled pistol either.

Consistantly means many different things to many people. For me, consistantly means my rifle NEVER shoots any larger groups than "X" number of moa.

Would I be able to do it consistantly as per my definition, probably not likely. 12-14" groups, maybe better, in perfect condidtions might be doable tho. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I want one to fit in my tuff box on my 6-wheeler. I'd use it for Moose out to however far it could group small enough to work 100% of the time.

99.95% of shooters don't even understand how to hit a milk jug at even 500 yards... even if they had a vice. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2003, 08:27 PM
Gold Member

I have not shot past 720 yards with a pistol but at 720 we were hitting a 6x8 inch steel plate with no problem with a 22 BR. I know that the contender you can put a 16 1/2 inch barrel with no problem.
Crow Mag
Old 11-14-2003, 09:30 PM

Well heres the deal.

Barrel 16" on the nose you can have a pistol style hand grip or a full length buttstock.

Barrel less than 16 can only have a handgrip no butstock allowed.
Barrel longer than 16" has to have a buttstock.
And shotguns must have a barrel length of 18" or longer. These are legal definitions as described to me by an officer in Minnesota.

As far as the calibers listed, I have personally shot an Encore with a 14" compensated barrel in the 30-06 round, And I will not shoot that again, even with the muzzle break the recoil was too much.

Good luck
Old 11-15-2003, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Very interesting. So you can't use the stocks on the contenders with the 14" bbls? I had also thought if it was manufactured as a pistol action, shorter barrels and a buttstock was no problem. Hmmmmm, I'll have to do more checking on this.

There's also a minimum rifle OAL too, can't remember what length it is though. I wonder if their's one for pistols too?

Thanks guys.
Old 11-15-2003, 04:04 PM

the action is manufactured neither as a pistol nor rifle. I went around and round with a police officer about this once.

It may be different in your state but in MN thats the way it is.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:24 PM

from what ive been told you can take a gun registerd as a handgun and make it a rifle but not the other way around. and that ther is a minumum barrel leight on rifles but no max on hadguns. ive been thinking about a 338/06 barrel i have and cutting it down to 18'' for my striker. jason
Old 11-17-2003, 11:25 AM

long range handgun available here

Long Range Pistol