Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

To log or not to log?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 03:11 PM

To log or not to log?

I am a scuba diver and log every dive. Is it a good idea to log all your shots and if so is there a free gun log I can download?
Old 10-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: To log or not to log?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgunner View Post
I am a scuba diver and log every dive. Is it a good idea to log all your shots and if so is there a free gun log I can download?
During load development, breaking in a new rifle and when you are first getting into shooting, especially at long range it's a very good idea.

Just google "sniper's log book" and "shooter's log book" and you can find a host of them you can order.

The easiest thing to do is find a format you like and then spend a few minutes setting up a template based on it's layout in word and the print your own.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: To log or not to log?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgunner View Post
If your doing a simple range session (100yds) I would just log the amount of rounds fired and your weather conditions. If your doing load data, write down the load weight, bullet used, powder, primer, and brass. You also want to record seating depth. Make sure you log whether you cleaned between groups, or shot from a dirty bore and how many shots are made in each test. I like to keep track of the group size too.

In all instances of shooting you want to log your cold bore shot (first shot on a dirty barrel or clean barrel) and track whether it shoots with the following shots, or if it has a tendency to have a separate point of impact away from the following shots.

When shooting long range, you want to log each shot, drops required for the range you are shooting, wind conditions, temp, barometric pressure, humidity, and elevation. Temperature, wind, and drops are the most important.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!