Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

loading for a .30-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: loading for a .30-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
one thing for sure. my senderos shoot real good. the ones with a a krieger barrel shoot really really good. it sounds like you have a fairly heavy barrel. are you going to use a howa to build from??
Truth be told Howa actions are tough as nails. the problem is finding a gunsmith in my area that has equipment to work with metric measurements. The more I think about it, the more I like the savage actions. From what I have been able to read, a shooter can build his own rifle in the garage with Savage actions. Most people don't like the look of the barrel nut but it doesn't bother me. Every time I think about this build I keep coming back to the fact that a shooter can install and head space a barrel with out the services of a gun smith with savage actions.

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64
Old 01-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Most people don't like the look of the barrel nut but it doesn't bother me.
Everyone needs a nicely finished fancy walnut stocked rifle/shotgun in the gun safe for show and tell. ...and, a couple of ugly rifles that shoot bug holes under all kinds of weather conditions.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsii64 View Post
Truth be told Howa actions are tough as nails. the problem is finding a gunsmith in my area that has equipment to work with metric measurements. The more I think about it, the more I like the savage actions. From what I have been able to read, a shooter can build his own rifle in the garage with Savage actions. Most people don't like the look of the barrel nut but it doesn't bother me. Every time I think about this build I keep coming back to the fact that a shooter can install and head space a barrel with out the services of a gun smith with savage actions.
Amen!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member

Here's my home brew! I put the barrel on, the stock, barrel lug, base, rings, and scope. So far the smallest group is .628" at 100yrds and I have to tune a load for it yet. Those were rounds that I put together just to break in the barrel. I have a Stockade bolt and lift kit coming yet.

[IMG]file:///C:/Windows/TEMP/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Agree on all points. I love my Howa's! Very tough and extremely accurate right out of the box. I would love to see the accuracy potential with a custom barrel and trigger! I can't imagine how good it could be. But I can't find anyone local either and can't do the work myself. So the savages sure do seem to fit the bill don't they!
Old 01-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
McGowen barrel (told they are around $250+ finished)
Savage LA $375 Call the factory, they'll have'em.
Stocky's stocks, Bell and Carlson Duramaxx $89 or the Carbilite $144
SSS Barrel recoil lug $40
EGW Base $40
Millett Angle-Loc Detachable Aluminum 1" Rings $12
Vortex 4-16x50 Crossfire 30mm Rifle Scope $219

Total- $1025 with a semi custom finished ready to shoot rig (Not counting the shipping and tax). Price will very due to the stock options too. I saw they have an Aluminum bedded sporter stock for the LA now for $204.

Savage may even send you a barreled action and not have to worry about a recoil lug (to your ffl holder or firearms dealer).

Tank
I like that idea, I went to Shilens website and they can send me a savage replacement barrel in any profile I want chambered for anything I want. To a point a even get a choice in twist rates. This is turning out to not be as complicated as I thought. The price is in my price range.

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64
Old 01-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I like that idea, I went to Shilens website and they can send me a savage replacement barrel in any profile I want chambered for anything I want. To a point a even get a choice in twist rates. This is turning out to not be as complicated as I thought. The price is in my price range.

You'll need the tools to set the head spacing and tighten the barrel nut. Wheeler engineering makes a great set. I bought the barrel nut wrench and the action wrench. You'll need a head spacing go and no-go gauges as well (well you can use a peace of sized brass, but to keep things from getting complicated the gauges are the best route). I swear it only took me like 5 to 10 minutes to get the barrel off, screw the new one on, set the head spacing and tighten everything down. Next step, 6.5x47 Lapua. Well actually I want a can for the rifle, but that will take some time.

Tank