Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Load work up bullet spacing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

Re: Load work up bullet spacing

375fan

That is a good idea and actually very easy for me to do since my shooting bench is set up out of the back of my shop about 50 yards from my front door. I just dont have the patience to take 20 days to run a ladder test. I am wondering if anyone on here has done any barrel temp testing in relation to POI change and velocity from different barrel temps. I should really get a laser temp sensor and do the testing myself since I am so worried about it.

Thanks Jason
Old 04-17-2011, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member

To be honest, my fouled shot cold (say after a day of shooting) is the same as the prior day. But my clean, cold bore shot is very low. About 3" from my POA. So I need to be very conscience that I have to have about 3 foulers shot through my barrel before I go hunting. Otherwise I am going to have to remember to come up 3MOA from what it is suppose to be initially with a shiny barrel. At that point I know it will hit where I put the cross hairs.... well I know it is suppose to go there anyway!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member

jrw, I have several buddies that shoot 1000 yrd bench. And they have something like 10 min. for a 10 shot string, dont recall for sure,but I'll ask one. When the wind conditions are right, one guy in particular sends rounds down at a very fast rate, few seconds between shots. I asked him about this, and these are light, and heavy class with large diameter barrels, and his reply was '' I'm hard on barrels" These guys shot groups that we dream about. I think barrel contour would have a bit to do with the heat issue also, These guys get them warm but hold groups.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Most of us are shooting sub 1/2 MOA rifles for LR work. Your cold bore shot should be irrelevant. Sight it in and you're good to go. I have found that waiting until the bore is completely cold vs warm doesn't really matter much and shouldn't matter if you're shooting a good rifle. Just a couple days ago, I shot a fairly quick 4 shot string with my 300 RUM, putting them into a .39" one ragged hole group @ 100 yds. After the 4th shot mys barrel was very warm, you could even call it hot. When I started the group, the barrel was already luke warm from shooting another load. If your group is wandering from cold shot to warm shot, then you probably have an issue you need to work out.

Edit... now if shooting under completely different temperature conditions can have a significant affect on your POI. I like to shoot at various temps, and especially the temps I'll be hunting in, to see what my load is doing.

-Mark

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 04-17-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Most of us are shooting sub 1/2 MOA rifles for LR work. Your cold bore shot should be irrelevant. Sight it in and you're good to go. I have found that waiting until the bore is completely cold vs warm doesn't really matter much and shouldn't matter if you're shooting a good rifle. Just a couple days ago, I shot a fairly quick 4 shot string with my 300 RUM, putting them into a .39" one ragged hole group @ 100 yds. After the 4th shot mys barrel was very warm, you could even call it hot. When I started the group, the barrel was already luke warm from shooting another load. If your group is wandering from cold shot to warm shot, then you probably have an issue you need to work out.

Edit... now if shooting under completely different temperature conditions can have a significant affect on your POI. I like to shoot at various temps, and especially the temps I'll be hunting in, to see what my load is doing.

-Mark
Mark,

You are completely correct, I did have a problem going on and this morning I figured it out. For the last couple of months I have been trying to get berger 168 vld's and H1000 to shoot for me but with no luck. I would get it to shoot 1 hole groups for a couple of groups then it would blow out. I finally ran out of bergers as well as H1000 so I decided to change it up and try something completely different. So a couple of days ago my wife brought me home a box of 168 SMK's and a pound of Retumbo to run down the pipe. I loaded up a ladder test last night and this morning when I got up the wind was calm and I was out the door by 6:00 and shooting by 6:20. I took my time spacing my shots equally and by 8:00 am I was all smiles. I had 3 accuracy nodes to work with 2 of which were 1 holers and 2-6 fps seperating them. In my glee I ran back in the house and loaded up a group test so I could shoot it before I lost the calm wind. Well needless to say I am a happy camper now. All 3 group were good but one really shined it measured 3/4" and had and ES of 8 fps, I was shooting at 250 yards. The other 2 groups weren't shabby either, 1 measured 1.5" ES of 12 fps and the 3rd measured 2" and an ES of 18 fps. I am really happy with my results and now the load is worked up and I can get my drops confirmed and play the rest of the summer. Oh the magic load ended up being 168 SMK, CCI 200, OAL 3.326, 69.3gr Retumbo, WW brass running 2960 fps.

Thanks for the help, Jason
Old 04-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Gotta love it when it all comes together
Old 04-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post

-Mark
So are you saying I have a problem if my clean barrel, cold bore shot is not up with the following shots at my POA? My first shot on a clean, cold barrel always drops 3" but is good left to right or vise versa. Once its dirty its not a problem.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!