Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Load work up bullet spacing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Silver Member

Load work up bullet spacing

Ok gentlemen this is an issue that vexes me when I am doing load work up. How much time do you guys wait between shots when either testing or shooting groups to maintain a cold bore? I am trying to work up a load for cold bore accuracy so I believe barrel temp matters. But, it is all I can do to be patient enough to wait 5 minutes between shots. I am pretty sure that is not enough so I am asking how long do you guys generally wait. If it matters I am shooting a 26" varmint contour savage custom in 7mm rem mag my son and I built this winter.

Thank you, Jason
Old 04-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Load work up bullet spacing

I go by feel. If you can touch the area of the barrel just ahead of the chamber and it feels cool to luke warm, I'd shoot. You don't want it to feel too hot after string and start shooting again. I would say about 10 to 15 min. Take a 22LR or a pistol and do some plinking between strings.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

Tank,
Well now I have to ask want you mean by a string. I try to leave 4-5 minutes between each and every bullet so for one, the barrel stays cool and for another to try and keep the barrel as close to the same temp as possible as the first shot. I guess my question is do I need to wait longer or am I wasting my time and waiting to long.

Thanks Jason
Old 04-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Silver Member

My routine: 3-4 shot string at least 2 minutes between shots. Then shoot, play with other guns I have along. As other poster said , I go by feel of temp of barrel, want it to be cool. Depending on temp at the time I'm shooting also plays into things. On real hot days things go real slow, maybe only shoot 1 or 2 strings (test loads) per rifle.
One day another gentleman at the range was shooting test loads, he was using cans of compressed air to help help cool barrel between groups. Had short piece of hose and would spray inside barrel. Don't know if it worked, he thought it did.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw1976 View Post
Tank,
Well now I have to ask want you mean by a string. I try to leave 4-5 minutes between each and every bullet so for one, the barrel stays cool and for another to try and keep the barrel as close to the same temp as possible as the first shot. I guess my question is do I need to wait longer or am I wasting my time and waiting to long.

Thanks Jason
See... I don't waste anytime. I shoot a 3-5 shots consecutively and then allow the barrel to cool. If you are keeping and even temperature between each shot, I wouldn't think waiting would be an issue. Unless your impatience causes the barrel to get warmer than you like it to be. I figure if I am shooting at something, the first shot is always going to be cold bore. If for some reason you need more than one (let's face it, not all of our names start with Shawn or Kirby, J&E), than you should have an idea what consecutive shots are going to produce in rapid succession. Realistically we aren't going to get more than 3 or more shots at a live target. To each is his own. I still think if you are giving time between each shot then I wouldn't be too concerned as long as you are keeping an even temperature.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Tank,
That statement is exactly why I am going through all the trouble of waiting between shots. I am trying to work up the best performing, most predictable load I can for that one and only shot.

"I figure if I am shooting at something, the first shot is always going to be cold bore."

Maybe I am thinking about this wrong. I havent done enough testing to figure out if a good consistent warm barrel (not hot) load will be just as consistent from a cold bore. Im just not sure what is right. That is why I am looking for opinions from men with more experience than I, so I can calculate my next step in testing.

Thanks, Jason
Old 04-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw1976 View Post
Tank,
That statement is exactly why I am going through all the trouble of waiting between shots. I am trying to work up the best performing, most predictable load I can for that one and only shot.

"I figure if I am shooting at something, the first shot is always going to be cold bore."

Maybe I am thinking about this wrong. I havent done enough testing to figure out if a good consistent warm barrel (not hot) load will be just as consistent from a cold bore. Im just not sure what is right. That is why I am looking for opinions from men with more experience than I, so I can calculate my next step in testing.

Thanks, Jason
If you really want to do a load test of cold bore than fire one round per day. I use to have piece of property with my own 150 yard range. After working up loads that I thought were spot on I'd fire one shot a day as a test using different time of day. Using this method really gained confidence in loads and zero for rifles. Wish I hadn't sold that property.