Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Load work for Ruger 270 Win, for Elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Load work for Ruger 270 Win, for Elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by minute of elk View Post
I should add that I got that coal by looking at a buddy's 150 sst load book for his ruger. His & mine seem to both have extra long chambers, so I propose that it might just be a ruger thing...
Minute of Elk,

I think it may be a Remington thing too. The 2 Remington rifles I have (30-06 and 270 Win) also have really long throats and are often difficult if not impossible to set the bullet ogive into the lands. However, I have found that the VLD bullets in my Remington 270 Winchester don't shoot well set close to the lands anyway which is fortunate. It seems to like it around .080 or a little better from the lands.

Terry
Old 06-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
We took elk from 85 yards to 865 yards last year with the 165 Matrix from either 270 wins or 270 WSM. The closest was a 300 class bull that my buddy caught trying to get out the back door, he hit him high with a heavy quartering angle and crushed three vertebra to pulp but did not exit, the bull was trying to lift his head up so he shot him in neck and that hit destroyed a lot of bone, his neck looked like a grenade went of under the skin. While the bullets did not exit the sectional density carried the bullet well into the elk, I'm not afraid of hitting bone on elk up close with them but you put them behind the shoulder and they are awesome!!
I shot the bull at 865 with my WSM, first bullet caught him a little back and got the liver an the back side of one lung, he took the hit hard and was only able to move a couple stumble steps but I put a second one through his lower shoulder, piled him up! The first bullet opened nice making a perfect wound channel, I really didn't need a second shot, the second bullet went through the heavy lower shoulder bone breaking in nicely and putting a good wound channel through the front of the lungs and exited out the front of the of shoulder, both bullets exited with a 1.5+ exit hole. I would not hesitate on an elk inside 1100 yards with my WSM and the 165 Matrix, at my elevation anyway.

I shot some whitetail doe's at around 200 yards with the WSM to see how they would do and the performance was stellar, first doe's heart was MIA and the second one with a heavy quartering put a 2in hole clean through her, with all bullet exiting.

The sectional density is king on elk IMO, I've shot a pile of elk with a 300 WBY and 165 Barnes but my 270 WSM with a 165 Matrix is much better on elk and at a much longer range!!!
The Matrix bonded 150 would be a solid choice I think for elk, I'd be shooting it if I couldn't stabilize the heavier bullets, fortunately we are at 6000+ft and they shoot from our 1-10 twists very well.
Rhian....Not too many people realize what a role S.D. plays. We all get so caught up in b.c and velocity that s.d. is forgotten. I believe that is why I have had some pretty good results over the years with 140's in the 6.5. As long as I don't try to stretch the barrel, that is......Rich
Old 06-13-2012, 10:54 PM

I have been playing with my 270 wsm, with the help of Bigngreen my rifle seems to really shoot....165 matrix with 66 grains of retumbo gets me a 5 shot group that can be cover with a dime at 100 yards!......Good for this beginner anyway? I shot them through my chrony and its moving at 2807. When i talked to the folks at matrix they told me 63 grains would get me about 3050? Is my chrony that far off? How fast should they be moving to effectively shoot elk at like say 800 yrds? So much to learn.... this site is priceless!

Thanks Larry
Old 06-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notellm View Post
I have been playing with my 270 wsm, with the help of Bigngreen my rifle seems to really shoot....165 matrix with 66 grains of retumbo gets me a 5 shot group that can be cover with a dime at 100 yards!......Good for this beginner anyway? I shot them through my chrony and its moving at 2807. When i talked to the folks at matrix they told me 63 grains would get me about 3050? Is my chrony that far off? How fast should they be moving to effectively shoot elk at like say 800 yrds? So much to learn.... this site is priceless!

Thanks Larry
With that bullet and velocity, you can shoot elk at 800 yards. What barrel length do you have and what length was Matrix quoting? It makes about 40' per inch difference, give or take...rich
Old 06-16-2012, 10:41 AM

Elkaholic, thank you been scratching my head about the velocity. My little sako tecomate only has a 22 1/2" barrel. Thanks again Larry
Old 06-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Elkaholic, thank you been scratching my head about the velocity. My little sako tecomate only has a 22 1/2" barrel. Thanks again Larry
You are welcome! Good luck with your plans.......rich
Old 06-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Thanks Larry
I would camp on that load!! I use the same load with almost 6 more inches of barrel and long throat so I would think your about right, take the accuracy first and velocity second!
To get 3050 from 63gr with a 165 seems a little optimistic or a longer barrel in the 30in range. The 175 with a long barrel and that load may be about right, I get 3014fps with 64gr with them.
Depending on your elevation 800 yards would be fine with that bullet and velocity, I still haven't found the bottom end of velocity for expansion but I know down around 1900 fps impact is still looking good.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"