Maybe some hope after all for my 270 Win and the 165 gn Matrix. I loaded one bullet this evening but before doing so I went back and looked at the load that shot well with the 150gn matrix and copied some of the elements of that load. I used a WLRM primer, Norma brass trimmed to 2.535
61gn of Magpro with the bullet set about .082 off the lands. Put a brand new battery in the Master Beta Shooting Chrony and got a reading of 2828 FPS!!
. I couldn't believe it. In my last post it was looking like I wouldn't get above 2700 FPS. I do not recommend anyone using this load however without starting from a min load and gradually working up as this I'm sure is a max or greater load for most 270's. This 270 though I don't guess read the loading manuals.
Now I need to load a few of this formula and see if they really fly this fast or if it was a one shot fluke and see if they group at the same time. Of course this load may shoot like crap in my partner's gun but at least it shows it may be do-able in a sporter rifle. I always like puting together workable hunting loads for my rifles anyway and hopefully this will be one of those.
For what it's worth I'm not against using other bullets too. I really like the Barnes TTSX's. It's a really tough bullet and expands well and penetrates extreamly well. The 150 gn version gets pretty long as it's copper and a 9/1 twist is recomended. I suppose it's not any longer than this 165 grainer though. Anyway, I got some loading to do.