Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Load development methods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Load development methods...

I use the OCW method,test 3 different seating depth's and I'm done.I have decided to quit loading to the lands,I feel it causes too much inconsistancy.The Ogive can vary from bullet to bullet,so that can give inconsistant results.Also,as the throat erodes,you will have to keep tweaking your load,to maintain whatever pressure you developed from loading into the lands.I use A max bullets,and jump them at least .010",and get alot more consistancy.The more I shoot,the more I realise the importance of consistancy.I would rather have a load that I can count on being 3/4 moa all the time,rather than a load that shoots 1/4 moa when all the star's are aligned perfectly,and 1 1/4 MOA on other day's. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQguy View Post
I use the OCW method,test 3 different seating depth's and I'm done.I have decided to quit loading to the lands,I feel it causes too much inconsistancy.The Ogive can vary from bullet to bullet,so that can give inconsistant results.Also,as the throat erodes,you will have to keep tweaking your load,to maintain whatever pressure you developed from loading into the lands.I use A max bullets,and jump them at least .010",and get alot more consistancy.The more I shoot,the more I realise the importance of consistancy.I would rather have a load that I can count on being 3/4 moa all the time,rather than a load that shoots 1/4 moa when all the star's are aligned perfectly,and 1 1/4 MOA on other day's. Just my 2 cents.
Ogive variance will still bite you loading off the lands depending on the bullet, so you still need to track it if you are after min groups. I have seen as much as .022 in a box of 100. Some guns are ogive sensitive and some are not.

Throat erosions does not stop because you load off the lands, so still have to reset the seating depth, particularily in the barrel burners.

Most have found that the Amax's are fatter and like off the lands and shoot well in guns when most others for some reason are not working. good bullet, I am shooting them in two comp guns now.

Many of the VLDs like in the lands, but some have found that they like way off the lands also.

There are many ways to get the loads to your criterea however tight or loose that is.

BH
Old 09-26-2009, 01:23 AM
Gold Member

I think it could be possible to tell within 10. I have seen at least two possible loads with 20 shots every time I tried. The load I was working on tonight I only shot 10 and I think I have one.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 09-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

I have a 300 ultra with a lilja barrel and it likes 95 grains of retumbo behind one of my 195 rebated boatails. As someone else mentioned, I like to test a lot and have the barrel burned out by the time it's time to hunt! I just built a 6.5 (4 contour 26" Lilja) based on my own reamer and a .270 parent. It will shoot under 1/2 moa with 140 bergers seated in to lands or A-Max just off. I've had it a month and have put 500+ rounds through it already. I'm thinking of building a 300 based on the same case as I'm tired of all the headaches with the Ultra including very short case life. Does anyone else have trouble finding dies that will size the ultra down sufficiently? Back to developement.....I too like to load until I get bolt stiffness or light extractor marks and then back off two grains. If that groups well, I play with seating depth and go from there. That doesn't sound like too much shooting: problem is, there are dozens of powders and bullets and I like to shoot'em all!!!!!!
P.S. if anyone is interested my case holds 11% more than a .270 and I can shoot the 140's over 3200 before they holler uncle.......
Old 09-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Silver Member

I tried this method,but am having a hard time figuring out which load is the best. Any help would be appreciated. 338lm, ar-30, 26"b, 105yds, 68F, no wind, 3200ft el., 40% h.

Shot #4 was operator error.

Shot with a hot to touch barrel.

Last edited by padd54; 09-27-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

I have never gotten too scientific with my development unless forced to. I generally pick a load a little below book max or load up a series of powder charges and shoot them on paper through the chronograph. I will either load 10 thou off the lands like Kirby or to mag box constraints. I have loaded for probably 40 different rifles over the last 20 years, and while this is a limited sample I find that they either shoot or they don't. I have yet to see one that shot 1.5 moa+ with the first couple of loads suddenly produce 0.5-0.75 moa with a "magic" load. I usually use Nosler Ballistic Tips or Accubonds. If a rifle won't either one of them, I'm done.

NRA Life Member
Old 09-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

I use the loads that Kirby gave me with my 338 edge and they work I can shoot ok and sunday it shoot 5 rounds in a 4" group at 1100 yards which for me is outstanding I use 93gr of retumbo and seat at 3.750 with 300smk and this is out of a light rem 700 Lss

Kirby thanks again see you thursday around 10:00am