Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Load development: leadsled or bipod?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Bronze Member

Load development: leadsled or bipod?

Looking to develop a load range load for hunting.
Tikka T3, 300WSM
using RE17 and berger 168 & 185 VLD hunting.
last night shot 3 shot groups with 61, 62, 63, 64, 64.5, 65, & 65.5 grns powder. 5 minutes between shots (barrel felt slightly warm).

Started last night using my bipod & rear bag. First time shooting with either. Best group so far was just under 1". Unsure if it may be affected by my novice status on the pod & bag. Thinking I should borrow my buddies leadsled for development, and use the bipod for my practice after I find my load.

What size bipod are you guys using? I have the 6-9 swivel Harris, and I sure feel contorted trying to get on the scope while prone.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Load development: leadsled or bipod?

I advise against the lead sled, i hear they are hard on stocks and scopes and you should take all the practice you can get shooting like you do in the field. or from a bench/across your hood. its the only way to go in my experience.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 07-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

And, for a different view, I'd do the same as you propose and use the Lead Sled for development and then finalize shooting in the same configuration you're going to use in the field. While a 300WSM isn't bad, continually shooting that sure can wear you out. I do not suspect that a Lead Sled can harm a contemporary synthetic stock. An old wood one with a big caiber is a different story.

For myself I use a Lead Sled if I'm doing a lot of shooting and then finalize with bags.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

Do load development like you will shoot in the field. And not likely on the led sled as it will handle the recoil of the gun differently than your shoulder and prob not show similar results. If you are relatively new I prob wouldn't shoot off a bipod as form will dictate how well it will shoot. With perfect form and alignment trigger control ets a bipod can be extremely accurate but I would recommend a conventional front rest with rear bags as the most forgiving and the best practice method to get started.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtjr View Post
Do load development like you will shoot in the field. And not likely on the led sled as it will handle the recoil of the gun differently than your shoulder and prob not show similar results. If you are relatively new I prob wouldn't shoot off a bipod as form will dictate how well it will shoot. With perfect form and alignment trigger control ets a bipod can be extremely accurate but I would recommend a conventional front rest with rear bags as the most forgiving and the best practice method to get started.
very well said.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 07-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

+1 on the bipod and rear bag. On an other note, did you consider doing a ladder test to find the accuracy node first, to narrow it down to a few grains. Then try groups between a few grains every .3 grains, or so.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

A good bipod is quick and easy to setup. ...and a very accurate front rest.

You probably don't want one for benchrest competition. But, they're great for anything from load development to hunting.

Your groups for load development may suffer by .010-.020" @ 100yds compared to the lead sled. But, does that really matter?

There's nothing wrong with a lead sled, or my preference, Caldwell Fire Control. But, they are a hassle to drag around and won't really promote practice. So, use one for load development if it doesn't slow you down too much. And, don't feel handicapped doing load development from a bipod.

Either way, go practice long range with your bipod or whatever setup(s) you'll be hunting with.

Have fun and don't overthink it!
-- Richard