Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Little advice on a few customs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: Little advice on a few customs

Matt,

After reading what your building, I'd go with a 6 contour and brake. 6 contour isn't going to add that much weight versus the 5 your thinking of. Good brake makes for fun shooting and helping to control rifle thru recoil, which will enable you to spot your impacts and vapor trails. There was a time I thought brakes weren't needed, but after the buying a used rifle with one (lightweight 300wm) and seeing how nice it made shooting the rifle, decided brakes are good , now have them on 3 other rifles. I wear plugs and muffs both when shooting, makes shooting a lot more fun.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

I like the tought of having a lightwieght 'ish" 7mm, but cant think of why you would go for a heavy"ish 300 win. I like both, but I think that they are too close in performance.

I would drop your coin on the 7mm (probably a SAUM), leave it unbraked and have something that you can shoot very well and still hunt with. Then get a heavy .30 cal (or .338) and have the brake on it. It just opens more doors for you. trust me, the first time you find a good place to shoot over the 1k mark, you'll want to do it again and again.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:59 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus-5024 View Post
I like the tought of having a lightwieght 'ish" 7mm, but cant think of why you would go for a heavy"ish 300 win. I like both, but I think that they are too close in performance.

I would drop your coin on the 7mm (probably a SAUM), leave it unbraked and have something that you can shoot very well and still hunt with. Then get a heavy .30 cal (or .338) and have the brake on it. It just opens more doors for you. trust me, the first time you find a good place to shoot over the 1k mark, you'll want to do it again and again.

The thing is though the 7mm is just off in the distance, the gun I actually want and plan to build is the 300. Win Mag which more then capable of the 1k mark. I have always loved the 300. Win mag plus I feel I don't need the brake on it which is a bonus in my mind. I might consider a removable brake incase I change my mind. Now I love the 7mm rem mag as well but the 300 is the one that will be the full custom. So I could always build the 7mm like I said, with a more hunter style stock htg a little light but still a good lr rig. Or I could completely change the caliber around and go with something else?