close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Limbsaver Barrel De-resonator...myth?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-03-2009, 10:59 PM

Limbsaver Barrel De-resonator...myth?

I saw one of the "Limbsaver Rifle Barrel De-resonaters" at a shooting supply store the other day and although I was intruiged, I thought I'd check of the forum here first to see if anyone has any experience with one of these. It looks like a small rubber dougnut - and talk about expensive!! $26.99!

The claim is that the device (when slid on to the correct position on the barrel) "calms" the harmonics.

How much "calming" effect could a little piece of rubber possibly have on a 30" heavy varmint barrel?

What do you think?...fact or fiction?
    Unread 08-04-2009, 11:02 AM
    Platinum Member

Re: Limbsaver Barrel De-resonator...myth?

I'm no scientist, but it seemed to work on my cousins Savage. He has a 26" barrel and he found a sweet spot that tightened up his groups. It may be a mental thing, but I know as he slid it up and down the barrel to find the sweet spot, his group size definitely changed. This however is on a rifle that is shooting .75" groups consistently with hand loads. I would say it helped to shrink them to about .5".

Tank
    Matthew 7:13-14
    "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Unread 08-04-2009, 08:32 PM
    Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

The fact that it is made with some miracle rubber may or may not have any effect but moving any type of weight up and down the barrel does affect A: Horminics and B: POI.

They can work. They wont make a bad rifle shoot good but they can help tune a given load for a good rifle. In some cases you can run a max load in your rifle regardless of whether or not it shoots it decent and make the rifle shoot that load better by moving a weight up or down the barrel. Years ago this was done with either piano wire or lead fishing weight wrapped around the barrel in a strategic location.
    Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
    Unread 08-04-2009, 10:26 PM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 25792SP View Post
    I saw one of the "Limbsaver Rifle Barrel De-resonaters" at a shooting supply store the other day and although I was intruiged, I thought I'd check of the forum here first to see if anyone has any experience with one of these. It looks like a small rubber dougnut - and talk about expensive!! $26.99!

The claim is that the device (when slid on to the correct position on the barrel) "calms" the harmonics.

How much "calming" effect could a little piece of rubber possibly have on a 30" heavy varmint barrel?

What do you think?...fact or fiction?
    They may work on a rifle with a buggy whip barrel (very light) but on a heavy contour I think
    they would have little or no effect on accuracy.

The main problem is that they are BUTT UGLY.

J E CUSTOM
    Unread 08-04-2009, 10:39 PM
    Silver Member

They work great for birth control, I knew a guy that had one and the ladys wouldn't even look at him.
    Unread 08-05-2009, 12:43 AM
    Silver Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by learning View Post
    They work great for birth control, I knew a guy that had one and the ladys wouldn't even look at him.
    C'mon dude. I heard you asked Kirby for a special one for that new Edge he's building for you.
    Unread 08-05-2009, 07:45 AM
    Silver Member

One word, Fugly!