Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Lija barrels question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
re: Lija barrels question

Anybody know what Hart's customer service is like. I recently had a brand new Hart installed on my 308 and it shoots like pure crap. I had a hart on it before and it shot lights out. Hence the reason I went with them for a second go round. I tried 155 amax's, 168 amax's, 178 amax's, 168 SMKs, 175 SMKs, 190 SMKs, 168 VLDs, 190 VLDs, 208 amax's, RL15, VARGET, N140, IMR4064, 4320, 4895, N540, N550, benchmark, H4350, RL17. On the lands, off the lands, BR2s, 210Ms, Rem 9-1/2 primers. Nothing. Out of over 500 rounds I could find a couple of consistent 1 MOA loads and shot only a few 1/2 MOA groups with zero repeatability. I tried refacing the barrel and re crowning it, inspected the chamber and throat. All was perfect. Didn't foul bad and cleaned very easy. Just wouldn't shoot. I thought after 100 rounds that it was me until I took my 6.5 to the range and shot them side by side. Bam, consistent 1/4 MOA with the 6.5 and 1-3 MOA with the 308. Then I went through everything on the rifle again. Made sure everything was torqued to the proper settings etc...still no good. I tried a different scope. Nothing. Then I fit my 6.5 barrel to my 308 and vice versa. No dice. The 6.5 barrel on my 308 rifle shot lights out. My 308 barrel on my 6.5 platform shot the same. Like poop. A couple weeks ago I had a new Bartlein fitted to my 308 chambered in 308. Bam. Instant shooter. You will never convince me that this hart barrel in nothing other than a lemon. I've been thinking about sending it back but I fear that it will make me more frustrated in the end than I already am.

Thoughts?

Btw, my 6.5 barrel is a lilja and was hands down the most accurate barrel I have ever used. That said after babying it for 400 rounds the $hit hit the fan. Accuracy fell off and cleaning became he!!. After fire lapping, I brought it back to life. It started to suffer another 100-200 rounds later. I had an inch cut off the breech and 1/2" off the muzzle. Shot lights out for another 100 rounds and accuracy again has fallen off and has become the most impossible barrel to clean. I chalked it all up to it just being my caliber choice. The 6.5x284. Now I'm rethinking that maybe it's due to something else like bad steel. I babied that thing like crazy. 1 minutes or more between shots. Complete cool down after 3 shots. Cleanings every 20 rounds. Did not hot rod it. Break in and cleaning per Dan's instructions, loads were worked up slowly and never pushed. By the book I did everything right.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
Anybody know what Hart's customer service is like... ...I've been thinking about sending it back but I fear that it will make me more frustrated in the end than I already am.

Thoughts?
You've got a lot of patience to put that kind of effort into this barrel. I'd send it back. Worst they can do is say go shovel snow. Maybe they'll replace it with another good one!
Old 12-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

If there is any truth to what the OP is hearing my bet is that one call to Lilja would resolve it.

The barrel makers as people have pointed out are not running the foundries, they by the raw steel blanks and finish them to various levels.

Everything I know about them tells me they will honor their commitments to their customers. If you have a bad barrel have your smith contact them rather than just getting angry.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
If there is any truth to what the OP is hearing my bet is that one call to Lilja would resolve it.

The barrel makers as people have pointed out are not running the foundries, they by the raw steel blanks and finish them to various levels.

Everything I know about them tells me they will honor their commitments to their customers. If you have a bad barrel have your smith contact them rather than just getting angry.
Very well said!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Lija barrels question-thumbs-up-sign-thumb8413541_zps85645168.jpg  

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

Michael E., I've never had a customer service issue with Hart so I can't help you there but I've bought their barrels direct and they've done work for me, rebarreling an action. If I had the problem you describe I would contact Hart or have your gunsmith do so.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Lija barrels question

I have had great customer service from Hart and used one for my last build. Lilja has the worst customer service in the business as far as anything close to a warranty. As had been state Dan has never made a bad barrel. Don't waste your time and money with someone who will not stand behind their product.

Regards, Paul

Len Backus
Publisher
LRH
Old 12-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Silver Member

Re: Lija barrels question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post

I only asked this just because someone here is telling his customers that is what happened to his gun and to 10-15 other ones. I feel something fishy and figured that if there was one way or the other the truth will surface.