Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Lightweight Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 09:42 PM

Lightweight Rifle

I am wanting to build a lightweight backpack hunting rifle, preferably <7 pounds, not including scope. This rifle will be chambered in 7mm Rem. Mag. Right now I am looking at these components:

Borden Timberline Action
Timney Trigger
McMillan A-3 Sporter Stock or a Lone Wolf stock
Hart Spiral Fluted Barrel 26" in length with muzzle break

I just wanted to see what you guys thought about this, and any suggestions are welcomed!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lightweight Rifle

if you want a "lightwieght" platform the first thing i would switch is the caliber. Nothing wrong with the 7 Rem, but there are WAY more efficient cartriges out there that will also let you use a shorter tube. I would opt for a 7WSM, Ill tell you why. slightly edges the 7 Rem with a little less powder out of a shorter tube and fits a short action. If you opt for a long action, you can have your bullets seated way out and still use the mag.

I havent ever been able to build a full custom, so I cant say anything about your compnent list except that both stocks are very good. If your going lightweight I would go with the lone wolf.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie07 View Post
I am wanting to build a lightweight backpack hunting rifle, preferably <7 pounds, not including scope. This rifle will be chambered in 7mm Rem. Mag. Right now I am looking at these components:

Borden Timberline Action
Timney Trigger
McMillan A-3 Sporter Stock or a Lone Wolf stock
Hart Spiral Fluted Barrel 26" in length with muzzle break

I just wanted to see what you guys thought about this, and any suggestions are welcomed!

Id build a 7mm-08
LOTS less $$$ actions than a Borden ( Borden is great..sure..but $$$ as hell)
Definately Timney trigger
Definately a McMillian ( or something similiar if you want light weight
Barrel? Id cut 4 inches off it and forget the spiral because a backpack rifle shouldnt be getting so hot from firing it needs that cooling advantage and with a 7mm-08 you dont need the muzzle break so with the elimination of the break and a 22" barrel any weight savings of spiraling is negated
Old 03-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Silver Member

I would tend to agree with the others. If it is truly a "backpack" rifle, consider a Manners SL stock (24 OZ), a McMillan Edge ( a bit more) or a Lone Wolf ( 15 OZ !!!!!) and a short action. Do you need a magnum for your intended species? You can get allot done with a short action and a 22" stick.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Silver Member

23" #3 or #2 stainless 7 SAUM. Mcmillan Edge, Blind mag. Talley LW lows, and a 3-9x40 Leupold with an M1 elevation turret. That's what I'd be twisting up!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

I shoot LR,I WANT all the barrel I can get for length. I also want all the cartridge I can handle. This is what I did. Make a compenet list,with weights. Then add up. Ask a smith if you have to, that you are working with. Standard action, ADL style, light stock, light rings,base and scope are all weight savings. I heard that Lone wolf is not taking orders right now? The 15 oz. is not a standard stock or size for them. Summits that are a sleek sporter style run 20-22 oz. If you add palm swell, raised cheeck, weight goes up. Weigh out your list and see where you want to cut weight. I built a 26'' braked 338 Norma, that came in at 7-2 oz. bare, so your weight is very reachable.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Silver Member

I might add, a Savage lightweight hunter in .308 with a Leupy ultralight 3X9 is 6 pounds, with optic. Thats pretty light. That is a handy setup, especially for the $$$$