Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

light weight field rest, low dollar also.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2006, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

light weight field rest, low dollar also.

Anybody have any recomendations for a good light wieght inexpensive rest. I dont want to spend another $100 now on another bipod but need a second rest for shooting from a hilltop, I would have to lug it about 500 yards up hill. Would also be for very low recoiling rifle.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: light weight field rest, low dollar also.

A back pack?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

you could e-mail this guy who makes and sells hunting bags. don't cost much and work pretty well. longshot1000@midsouth.rr.com
Old 12-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

I use a couple of ski poles (mine are telescoping at $17 each) and I use a large bobble bungie that keeping them together - a very adaptable field bipod. The bobble is a quick release style, so I can use the poles to hike into the backcountry, then tie 'em together to shoot.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

If 500 yds is all you will ever have to lug it, what would be too wrong with one of those Hoppe's orange rests. Its fairly light, has reasonable adjustment, sharp feet but is bulky. Plus it's gotta be inexpensive.....Or I wouldn't have one. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Silver Member

send these guys a e-mail asking about there rifle rest www.outdoorsmans.com it mounts to your tripod and is super light weight nothing has to be attached to your rifle it simply unfolds you lay your rifle in and can use you tripod head either a pistol grip or a pan head to adjust your rifle. a guy just used mine to shoot his bull elk at 400 yard last week.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

I don't know that this is what you're looking for, but they are compact, lightweight and cheap and quite adaptable to the terrain. I've got the Steady Stix for a spot or two I hunt from. Good luck.

http://www.stoneypoint.com/steady_stix_index.html

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl