Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Light Rust on Stainless rifle...how to remove

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 08:06 AM
Gold Member

Re: Light Rust on Stainless rifle...how to remove

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Citric acid will fix it and it is safe. Stainless steel is easily contaminated by contact with carbon steel. It may not be the stainless steel rusting, just the carbon steel smeared onto the surface by contact. To prevent this, stainless should be passivated (treated with an acid to etch off any contaminants and force the growth of a good stable layer of chromium oxide to protect it.)

Having said that, 416 Barrel steel is a low grade stainless steel and will rust under the right conditions. Any form of salt is more likely to attack it. In winter when the roads are salted and the outside of our vehicles covered with salt dust, is the greatest risk. Calcium chloride will attack 416 for sure and that is what is generally used on roads.
Westcliff
When you say contaminated by carbon steel...are you refering to the manufacturing of the rifle itself may have had some carbon steel contaminants embedded into the barrel...just trying to understand where this contamination could have come from if that is indeed what it is. I found it very odd that there were only a handfull of little tiny pin sized rust spots and they were all near the tip of the rifle in one spot say the size of a quarter. I have seen other blued rifles rust and when they do they tend to get a little rust almost everywhere so maybe this is like what someone else said "MUD" that worked its way into the stainless steel OR maybe it is this so called contamination you are talking about. Either way, I will give the citric acid a try. Do you mean get actual citric acid from somewhere or simply try lemon/orange juice? Hope that isnt a dumb question...
Old 11-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
To prevent this, stainless should be passivated (treated with an acid to etch off any contaminants and force the growth of a good stable layer of chromium oxide to protect it..
exactly right!

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 11-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
Westcliff
When you say contaminated by carbon steel...are you refering to the manufacturing of the rifle itself may have had some carbon steel contaminants embedded into the barrel...just trying to understand where this contamination could have come from if that is indeed what it is. I found it very odd that there were only a handfull of little tiny pin sized rust spots and they were all near the tip of the rifle in one spot say the size of a quarter. I have seen other blued rifles rust and when they do they tend to get a little rust almost everywhere so maybe this is like what someone else said "MUD" that worked its way into the stainless steel OR maybe it is this so called contamination you are talking about. Either way, I will give the citric acid a try. Do you mean get actual citric acid from somewhere or simply try lemon/orange juice? Hope that isnt a dumb question...
What did I do or say wrong? I'm confused...

The steel wool and RemOil or Kroil has worked well for me for over 12 years now (when I got my first stainless rifle)...Might not work for everyone, but for my rifles it has worked just fine.

Also, a thorough wipe-down with a silicone rag and remoil, before putting them up, helps, too.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
What did I do or say wrong? I'm confused...

The steel wool and RemOil or Kroil has worked well for me for over 12 years now (when I got my first stainless rifle)...Might not work for everyone, but for my rifles it has worked just fine.

Also, a thorough wipe-down with a silicone rag and remoil, before putting them up, helps, too.
lol when I put "MUD" in quotes I was talking actual mud/dirt...not your name so you didnt say anything wrong lol. I am just seeing everything people have tried. I want to try the steel wool thing last as that may score the finish a bit which is fine...but I might as well try all other things first that dont score the finish before I try that.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
lol when I put "MUD" in quotes I was talking actual mud/dirt...not your name so you didnt say anything wrong lol. I am just seeing everything people have tried. I want to try the steel wool thing last as that may score the finish a bit which is fine...but I might as well try all other things first that dont score the finish before I try that.
Sorry, I just get a little paranoid when people say "mud" out of the blue, cause they're usually talking about me. LOL

No big deal.

Yeah, if you press down too hard it can, but if you use the really fine 0000-ought wool you should be fine.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Gold Member

It probably does not help much speculating how the barrel could become contaminated. It could be from the profiled barrel having been put into a carbon steel rack after machining. The "cart" with the barrels on it might have passed a point where someone was grinding on some carbon steel, and the little CS berries struck the barrel, and initially they are invisible. Similarly, some form of finely divided CS powder from some other process may have blown onto the barrel. The possibilities are endless. Unless the component is passivated before assembly and non contaminating materials used for all assembly fixtures / surfaces and air filtration applied to the assembly area, there is always risk of contamination.

The second question: For the same reason as above, you want to use a chemically pure citric acid and dissolve it in DI or distilled water, since water out a well or city water system has so much crap in it, including iron... Ideally use a glass container/bottle, since that is inert.

"Fruit" contains all sorts of stuff, including whatever the tree gets out the ground, so while it might be "natural" it is not "pure"...

Quote:
Westcliff
Old 11-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Gold Member

I would never recommend steel wool for use on any stainless barrel, since contamination of the stainless through CS is then guaranteed... Unless of course you immediately passivate it afterward and if you do that, you could have skipped the steel wool step in the first place.