Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Light Rust on Stainless rifle...how to remove

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Gold Member

Light Rust on Stainless rifle...how to remove

Hey all,
I have a brand new Remington Mountain SS used on ONE hunting trip. So I found a few very faint, very small (smaller than a pin head) spots of rust near the tip of my rifle barrel. You can tell they are surface only...not very deep at all. First of all...I dont get it...I wiped it down after hunting...it wasnt wet...and this was only 1 DAY of hunting followed by 1 DAY of sitting before I noticed the rust so it wasnt like it sat very long before I noticed even "IF" I had left it wet, which i did not. I mean I know these stainless guns can still rust, but dang I thought they were supposed to be better than blued guns at rust prevention. Ive left blued rifles wet for a few days maybe even a week in warmer weather than this and no rust or corrosion formed. RANT OVER haha.

I am wondering what you all think is the best way to remove it, with out dramatically changing the finish. The barrel has a very few scratches on it anyways so I am not REALLY concern about looks but you cant see these scratches from a few feet away and if i can keep the marks from this rust removal to be similar to that I will be very happy. The rifle gets used and is meant to get a little dinged up so again not TOO worried about buffing the rust out and creating some fine buffing marks into the finish if the outcome removes the tiny spots of rust

By the way...I missed a Buck this sunday at 15 YARDS LMAO...It was very windy and I was in a tree stand that was swaying back and forth. I was using my 4.5-14 power scope watching a field when the buck came out of nowhere behind me. since the buck was so close it was very hard trying to keep the buck in view of the scope with the swaying tree. Ultimately i am happy i missed as opposed to wounding the deer...lesson learned...dont sit in swaying tree stands lol.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Light Rust on Stainless rifle...how to remove

As funny as it sounds, it may not be rust. I've seen other forms of dirt look like rust on a stainless barrel.

I assume you've tried wiping it with gun oil and it won't wipe off.

I've also had success putting the part in a ultrasonic cleaner. It often works well, but be sure to put a very thin coat of oil on it afterwards and oil the inside of the barrel. With my cleaner I can stick a foot or so of the barrel into the tank without much of a problem. I usually cushion the crown as well as the edge of the tank so the barrel doesn't get new scratches on it.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vette View Post
As funny as it sounds, it may not be rust. I've seen other forms of dirt look like rust on a stainless barrel.

I assume you've tried wiping it with gun oil and it won't wipe off.

I've also had success putting the part in a ultrasonic cleaner. It often works well, but be sure to put a very thin coat of oil on it afterwards and oil the inside of the barrel. With my cleaner I can stick a foot or so of the barrel into the tank without much of a problem. I usually cushion the crown as well as the edge of the tank so the barrel doesn't get new scratches on it.
It could be mud as we did get really muddy on the quad. BUT i tried wiping off the barrel with a textured sponge and it wouldnt come off. Unfortunately I do not have a sonic cleaner to test your theory.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

If a rag and gun oil won't get it off, try some (0000) 4-Ought steel wool, and some penetrating oil, like Kroil or AeroKroil. And very lightly buff the rust off with the wool. Don't mash down too hard or you can score the finish. It's worked fine for me for many years now.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Silver Member

Try Boretech carbon remover. What I thought was rust on my ss barrels was actually deposits exiting the muzzle brake. It is easily removed with carbon remover. I wiped them off and they look new until shot again. Gary
Old 11-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraedge View Post
Try Boretech carbon remover. What I thought was rust on my ss barrels was actually deposits exiting the muzzle brake. It is easily removed with carbon remover. I wiped them off and they look new until shot again. Gary
I don't have a muzzlebrake though but I will try the carbon cleaner
Old 11-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Citric acid will fix it and it is safe. Stainless steel is easily contaminated by contact with carbon steel. It may not be the stainless steel rusting, just the carbon steel smeared onto the surface by contact. To prevent this, stainless should be passivated (treated with an acid to etch off any contaminants and force the growth of a good stable layer of chromium oxide to protect it.)

Having said that, 416 Barrel steel is a low grade stainless steel and will rust under the right conditions. Any form of salt is more likely to attack it. In winter when the roads are salted and the outside of our vehicles covered with salt dust, is the greatest risk. Calcium chloride will attack 416 for sure and that is what is generally used on roads.