Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Light recoiling 600 yard elk rifle w/ muzzel brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2007, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the info so far.

I think I'm leaning towards the 7mm WSM. Especially after reading the High Country Hunter article.

AJ,

I'm probably going to put a heavy 26" shilen on it so the light weight barrel is not a big deal. I was thinking the same way when it comes to putting on a varmint barrel, but I've heard of lots of feeding issues with the WSSM's. I'm trying to find another cartidge that will be an easy switch and not cause any feeding issues.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 11-20-2007, 08:58 AM
Gold Member

If you are going to use a savage action, you can a great deal on a Shilen pre-fit barrel at accuracyarms.com.

I am going to get one from him in 7WSM and have it throated for the 168Berger VLD's. I am using a control round feed safari model that was a 300 win so I will be able to load them long and still mag feed.You can get alot of good info on Savages at savageshooters.co m

Even if you get a standard WSM action, although you will have to seat the bullet pretty deep into the case, there is still plenty of room for a powder charge that will give you good performance.

You can get alot of good info on Savages at savageshooters.com

Last edited by RockZ; 11-20-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

The savage is a good way to go, pre fit barrels are reasonable. 7 WSM would be great caliber (go with heavy varmint contour and forget muzzlebrake)

I would suggest that you stay with a smaller standard caliber (ie not WSSM) for the second barrel. 6mmBR, 243, would be two very good choices with the 6BR being my choice as good ballistics, no recoil, reasonably flat trajectory, great barrel life, quality components and easy to reload for. What more could you ask for?

Another bolt is only $100, wrench $30, barrel vise $40, go/no-go guages $40 and you are good to go.

BH
Old 11-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

To me it sounds like he's wanting something to get started with.
Budget wasn't mentiones either.
So I would reccomend something like a Rem. CDL SF in 300 WSM for a higher end gun (about $1K) or a Rem. SPS Varmint in 300 WSM (about $500) and have a brake put on either. Plenty of umph for elk past 600.

Get some good mounts and glass and all the other required goodies.

Then go try to burn the barrel out with 180 accubonds.

You'll be ready when the draw graces you with a tag.

I remember once hearing "Beware the man that owns only one gun, he usually knows how to use it."
Old 11-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

600 yard elk rilfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IChaseCoues View Post
To me it sounds like he's wanting something to get started with.
Budget wasn't mentiones either.
So I would reccomend something like a Rem. CDL SF in 300 WSM for a higher end gun (about $1K) or a Rem. SPS Varmint in 300 WSM (about $500) and have a brake put on either. Plenty of umph for elk past 600.

Get some good mounts and glass and all the other required goodies.

Then go try to burn the barrel out with 180 accubonds.

You'll be ready when the draw graces you with a tag.

I remember once hearing "Beware the man that owns only one gun, he usually knows how to use it."
THE REMINGTON SPS varmint would great but it does not come in 300wsm as far as i know. i realy like your quote though " beware of the man with one gun" . roninflag
Old 11-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

600 yard elk rifle

the savage factory rifles with hvy barrels that come in 300wsm are nearly the price of the sendero. it takes takes practice (and experience and good equipment ) to shoot " long range " so reloading is a plus. equipment- a capable rifle with a a good trigger; good scope; good bedding and good ammo and a range finder. next it takes a while ( the draw odds for a general bull tag are usually less than 17%) to get drawn in az. i shoot a lot more targets than game. i would get a gun that i would be good for both. i would definetly get a brake installed, too. roninflag
Old 11-20-2007, 07:23 PM

great info , thanks

I am on a tight budget, but I've found a good deal on new Savage model 11F in .270wsm, 7mmwsm, or 300wsm for $345. Its pre accutrigger, but I can get a SSS trigger for $90. If the factory barrel shoots good I'll keep it, if not, I'll get $239 Shilen SS Match from Accuracy Arms. Once I decide on the barrel, I'll have brake put on it.

roninflag,
Since I'm new to hunting I've been putting in for cow tags. 2 years now and still haven't gotten drawn, but I think my chances are pretty good next year.
Dan