Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Light- and it's effects on POI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Light- and it's effects on POI

I hear a little bit about this from guys using peep sights and thought that what they were discussing was caused by the lights interplay with the sight and not a distortion in the line of sight. So maybe we are discussing two different aspects.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Bronze Member

Wow guys, have gotten a lot of really great responses and possibly a couple new questions.

Maybe I'll just have to start taking better range data-notes. I know I prefer to shoot on a high-overcast day because the target is usually very visible and yet there is minimal mirage to shoot through (it can be a blessing and a curse). However I'll keep better records to see whether or not my POI changes between bright, sunny days and overcast days.

Sun angles and shadows could be important too, but that'll have to be included in notes as well.

EH
Old 12-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
I hear a little bit about this from guys using peep sights and thought that what they were discussing was caused by the lights interplay with the sight and not a distortion in the line of sight. So maybe we are discussing two different aspects.
To a point yes. But also no.

Lighting changes in and of itself will change your image percpective for peep shooters and scope shooters alike.

A peep shooter can be worse off than a scope shooter though. If the sun off to one side or the other the sun creates glare on the peep and really adds to the problem. Most shooters will find that their POI will follow the sun throughout the day. When it is to the left, they will hit left. As the day goes on and it gets straight up, the POI will be centered and so on.

We are not talking about huge changes here but 1/2 MOA is very common.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

All of these comments are correct. And let me say, I don't have a lot of long range experience.

What I do know for a fact:
Mirage flowing in a certain direction, or boiling, can make your target position appear to change.
The angle of the sun also can alter the position of your target in your scope. When light is entering the scope lens at different angles, the target will appear to be in different positions.
My observations have been that mirage will move the target in the direction it is flowing.
As far as sun position, say for instance you are shooting at a target due north. Sun is rising to your right in the east, when I fire a shot POI tends to shift to the right.

What I don't know:
I don't know the exact physics behind this, or how to quantify the shift of POI.

I am very interested in the physics behind this though. I wish we had a physics professor around...