I've decided to start putting together a light 300 WSM
(on a Savage). A few questions:
- 24" or 26" barrel? I'm used to shooting a standard 300WM so I feel I'm already giving up something stepping down from 200gr to 180gr bullets (this is a short action), I'm concerned how much velocity I may be giving up with 2" of barrel but have no experience with this.
- I plan on this being a blind mag setup to minimize weight; will this increase my max OAL length at all to help alleviate the OAL concerns encountered with WSMs in a short action?
- Light scope mounts? Any one-piecers available with built-in 20MOA at a reasonable price?
- Suggestions on a light stock for a Savage?
- Light scope? Nikon Buckmaster is my go-to but if I can find a light 30mm tube at a reasonable price, of similar weight, I may be swayed.
- Any other tips to maximize WSM performance in a short action for a 800-900yd gun? I have a dedicated LRH 300WM but hope that this will be at least capable of it if needed. Some of my hikes are getting a bit long for the 12lb gun and a 4 day camp.
I'm planning on a Shilen drop-in barrel and having it threaded for a removable brake FWIW.