Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Lets Talk Primers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lets Talk Primers

I worked at Jensen's Custom Ammunition in Tucson in the early 90s during summers. It's where I got my start on loading, and more in depth ammo, shooting, etc.

Regarding primers, I started out with WLR and WLRM and have always been able to find a suitable load for hunting with them, even to this day. However, if I recall correctly, we got quite a few cases of Fed primers in one summer so I tried them as well. During my early years, I never could tell any difference. Then someone who was a regular customer told me he ONLY used the match grade primers from Federal, so I took his advice and pretty much bought a case of those for every brick of Winchesters.

Truth be told, since I loaded for my brother, I would use the 210M and 215M for me and the Wins for him. He never knew any different and he likely wouldn't care anyway.

Then in the late 90s I had some gun store owner talk to me about primers and he went on and on about how "consistent" the Remington primers were and why he liked them so much. Turns out that's all he sold so I felt hoodwinked when I bought some for large rifle and some for my 300 WM. The whole batch was a bunch of duds. I got maybe one fire for every 5 misfires. He wouldn't give me my money back so I had to send them to Remington and they gave me new ones that I sold. I will never even try Rem primers again.

So, since I began reloading, I've used more 210M and 215M than all others combined. Looking over my shoulder, I have 25,000 stacked by my gunsafe and this 75% of my total. I've been very fortunate to have a gunstore locally who gets all types of Fed primers on a regular basis.

I will use 210 and 215 as well as I have about 5000 each on hand but they will be used in the event I can't use match primers. In fact, I have way too many! I'm a hoarder and admit it. I could easily part with 20,000 primers and never miss them.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
Kevin, that is an excellent write up. I will check over at 6mmbr.com. There may be quite a few on this site that would benefit from similar technical articles. I being one of them. Would you be willing to put something together for this website with Len's supervision/approval of course?
Don't know quite what I might contribute, but sure, I'm always up for stuff like this. And thank you for the kind words, too!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Silver Member

During the component shortages I thought my world was comeing to an end. I started useing what I could get. My world got bigger and possibly better. Once you switch you may never go back. Federal lost me as a customer, I will never be brand dependent again. In a nut shell, if its safe and works well for you, put any dog gone primer in that hole you want to, proof is in the pudding not in the size or brand of eggs you make it with. Did I mention safety. Powders, temperatures, bullet weight, seating depth, case capacity and all that stuff.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken snyder View Post
During the component shortages I thought my world was comeing to an end. I started useing what I could get. My world got bigger and possibly better. Once you switch you may never go back. Federal lost me as a customer, I will never be brand dependent again. In a nut shell, if its safe and works well for you, put any dog gone primer in that hole you want to, proof is in the pudding not in the size or brand of eggs you make it with. Did I mention safety. Powders, temperatures, bullet weight, seating depth, case capacity and all that stuff.

Amen to that one! I started using Wolf primers because they were readily available and work quite well.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

I've never seen Wolf primers.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
I've never seen Wolf primers.
There out there. I know a supplier through another website. Dixie Ammo dump I think is the site.

Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Can't seem to find them on the sight right now. You may have to call and see if they have any for sale if you want to try them.

Tank