Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Lets Talk Primers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lets Talk Primers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300WSMMAD View Post
I use magnum primers in my 708, simply because thats all I had and I needed to load for a bush hunt and a long shot is 100 yrds, turned out to be wicked accurate so Ive stayed with that load.

Another thing I had a 300WSM that was accurate just for shits and giggles one day I kept same load bullet, but I changed primers some CCI,Feds and Winchesters,I pleased I had some witnesses that day because the differecne in group size was obvious to everyone there.

Some will say it will make no difference, I will argue strongly it does,Ive proved it.

Mag primers in a swift,if it works .............

300WSMMAD
I load mag primers in my .308 as they give me better velocity and ES.

As far as switching primers under the same load, I have tried it as well and get about 50 fps difference with my .338 and not only different sized groups but a POI shift as well.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Have used CCI for 30 years in about everything and never had a problem, still use a lot of them. Use Winchester LR and LRM,(about 2 years ago bought over 8000 of them when a bait store sold out everything at auction) they work fine. About 10 years ago started using Federal 210m and 215m for my hunting loads, they are my preferred primer, seem to consistently get small spread in velocities. Can't and haven't been able to get any 215m in my area for couple of years now, so just use 215 in there place and everything is fine.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Bronze Member

I've been reloading since 1964 and have pretty much using CCI 220 primers. Last year while testing some loads to take to Wyoming, I found some in a drawer that I know was bought sometime in the early 80's. I loaded a few rounds and compared them to the new ones I had. I can not see any difference.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Silver Member

Hey guys, sorry its been a bit since I have been able to check in. Seems to me that the general consensus is to find what works for you and stick with it. I have done a little bit of playing with different primers in a particular load. It is interesting that I did not see much variation. However, it was Magnum primers from two different manufacturers. I could certainly justify a lot more testing. I appreciate the comments.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

I have done some testing with primers and find that (as many have already stated) there is a difference. I have seen 40-50 fps on the chrono, poi change, and group size corresponding to much larger ES. My personal favorites are Fed Match, and CCI BR. Years ago, when I tested, the std CCI's were the worst performers. I haven't tested them recently so that may have changed by now? As far as magnum primers go, I think they are often over used. I shoot standards in my Sherman case that has a 75 grain H20 capacity and they work great. There are exceptions as others have already noted......Rich
Old 12-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Gold Member

What do you all think about using Mag, 215's and the like, primers when using slow burning powders like Retumbo in 06 size cases?

A good example is the 6.5-06 or 6.5-06AI. I've read where alot of guys are using Retumbo in these when loading the 140gr bullets. Are Mag. primers necessary with this combo or would 210's be a better choice????
Old 12-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
What do you all think about using Mag, 215's and the like, primers when using slow burning powders like Retumbo in 06 size cases?

A good example is the 6.5-06 or 6.5-06AI. I've read where alot of guys are using Retumbo in these when loading the 140gr bullets. Are Mag. primers necessary with this combo or would 210's be a better choice????
Personally I would use a mag primer. You have a very slow, large granule powder that in my opinion requires more fire for consistent ignition. You won't know until you try though. You may get better ES w/ the 210's, but you may gain better velocity with the 215's. Try it and see what happens. JMHO!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!