Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Lets talk .338 bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lets talk .338 bullets

If one intends to maximize the long range potential of the big 338's (Edge, Lapua, Rum,Allen Mag, Etc,) then the 300 SMK is truely the only choice IMHO. With a BC of .768 nothing else can compair in the wind drift department or in the amount of down range momentum this baby carries. 2600+ FPS is all that is needed to enjoy it's advantages

Place the 300 SMK in the kill zone and then the work will begin
Old 11-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Gold Member

LTLR,

I just bought a box of 225 TTS that I want to give a try. How does your powder load selection out of your 338 rum compare between the Barnes and the Accubond? I am currently using 97 grains of RL25 with the 225 accubond.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Platinum Member

I thikn I'm gonna give the 225 TSX's a try. like LTLR says, flat shooting for less adjustments is what they're about. I have never had poor terminal performance from any barnes, I just cant get them to shoot under .5 MOA consistantly out of my rifle. The other big turn-off with barnes is the price... they are bloody pricey. Up here in Canada everything cost you more when it somes to firearms.

I think that I will still use the 300 SMK for longer shots, probably mostly on targets. I hear what your saying about the high B.C of the 300's jwp 475. The first time I shot them out to 950 yards I was made a believer.

So it will be the 225 TSX (if they shoot) and the 300 SMK. LTLR, can you give me any load data with the 225 TSX useing Retumbo or RL 25? Any load data with the 300 SMK would be appreciated also. currently I'm using 88.5 grains Retumbo, but i think that it is a cool load and would like to go hotter.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

I think that is a very good choice. Like JWP says, there is nothing that beats a 300 SMK for extreme long range hunting. And it will kill a grizz. Grizz is not a long range species though and no guide worth his salt would allow you to shoot a grizz long range and he should have his license pulled if he did. Therefore I would use a 225 TTSX for grizz. It is guaranteed to perform perfectly.

The solid copper bullets can build up more pressure and require a lighter load. Depends on your barrel diameter and they vary slightly among producers. A tight barrel and you would build up some pressure. I think you can start out with the 97 grains of RE 25 and work from there unless that was max in your rifle then drop it a couple grains to be sure. I shoot 99.5 grains with the 225 AB at 3264 fps. I have loaded brass five times with that load and no problem out of my Rem 700. With the 338-300 ultramags we were shooting the other day I think we used 102.5 or 103.5 of RE 25 with the 225 TTSX and hit 3320 fps very accurately. I would have to check that load though but I think that is right. Retumbo seemed to be to slow for the 225 but shoots well with the 300 SMK.

Another thing about Barnes bullets I really like. I seperate a box of bullets depending on weight. Three groups for right on, light side and heavy side. Then the way out of the norm I use for blowing out brass in wildcats. With a box of Barnes I have one group and they are right on. The only bullets I can say that for. Before the rings were cut in the barnes you couldn't hit a barn door from the inside. Now they are extremely accurate bullets. Two days ago we were getting my son's 257 wby ready for opening of deer season. Again it grouped into 1 1/2" at 400 yards with the 100 grain TSX at 3780 fps. We walked to an unknown distance to simulate a stalk then turned around and ranged it at 623 yards. He folded down the bipod to shoot his simulated deer hunt. One shot for the kill. The shot went through a 2" bullseye at 623 yards. He is 16 years old. The Barnes will shoot! Yesterday he shot a monster of a mulie buck at 356 yards perfectly right through the heart on opening day. I have never seen a larger bodied mulie. Old buck with a huge rutting neck that had to weigh at least 350 pounds.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
I think that is a very good choice. Like JWP says, there is nothing that beats a 300 SMK for extreme long range hunting. And it will kill a grizz. Grizz is not a long range species though and no guide worth his salt would allow you to shoot a grizz long range and he should have his license pulled if he did. Therefore I would use a 225 TTSX for grizz. It is guaranteed to perform perfectly.

The solid copper bullets can build up more pressure and require a lighter load. Depends on your barrel diameter and they vary slightly among producers. A tight barrel and you would build up some pressure. I think you can start out with the 97 grains of RE 25 and work from there unless that was max in your rifle then drop it a couple grains to be sure. I shoot 99.5 grains with the 225 AB at 3264 fps. I have loaded brass five times with that load and no problem out of my Rem 700. With the 338-300 ultramags we were shooting the other day I think we used 102.5 or 103.5 of RE 25 with the 225 TTSX and hit 3320 fps very accurately. I would have to check that load though but I think that is right. Retumbo seemed to be to slow for the 225 but shoots well with the 300 SMK.

Another thing about Barnes bullets I really like. I seperate a box of bullets depending on weight. Three groups for right on, light side and heavy side. Then the way out of the norm I use for blowing out brass in wildcats. With a box of Barnes I have one group and they are right on. The only bullets I can say that for. Before the rings were cut in the barnes you couldn't hit a barn door from the inside. Now they are extremely accurate bullets. Two days ago we were getting my son's 257 wby ready for opening of deer season. Again it grouped into 1 1/2" at 400 yards with the 100 grain TSX at 3780 fps. We walked to an unknown distance to simulate a stalk then turned around and ranged it at 623 yards. He folded down the bipod to shoot his simulated deer hunt. One shot for the kill. The shot went through a 2" bullseye at 623 yards. He is 16 years old. The Barnes will shoot! Yesterday he shot a monster of a mulie buck at 356 yards perfectly right through the heart on opening day. I have never seen a larger bodied mulie. Old buck with a huge rutting neck that had to weigh at least 350 pounds.

I agree the TSX is the Premier hunting bullet today. I have been shooting them Long Range out of my 300 Win for years and have taken game out to 777 yards with the 180 TSX. The 300 grin SMK has the ability to buck wind like no other bullet on the market today. Thr TSX is a killer for sure and certain IME

Barnes is coming out with a long range TTSX in 30 cal and 338 cal. They wil require a faster twist than normal I have been told. They may be the answer to the question of choosing a hunting bullet or a match bullet for long range hunting
Old 11-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the load data LTLR. I would never attemp a long shot at a grizz, I have seen first hand how hard they can be to stop and the amount of time they can go missing major organs and bones. I cant afford a guide so It'll be a DIY hunt for me.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus-5024 View Post
Thanks for the load data LTLR. I would never attemp a long shot at a grizz, I have seen first hand how hard they can be to stop and the amount of time they can go missing major organs and bones. I cant afford a guide so It'll be a DIY hunt for me.

A DIY hunt for Grizz, where?