Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Let's hear your story!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2001, 09:38 PM
PUBLISHER

Let\'s hear your story!

Where are all the stories from this fall's hunts? Come on you guys!

I have one more new story to write about my 525 yard whitetail buck I shot last week on my Wisconsin land but I'm not going to post it if I don't see some of your stories first.

52.5 yards or 525 yards, let's post them!

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-25-2001, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

Re: Let\'s hear your story!

Frist day of season watching 735 yards of river. Range finder and rifle ready at 920am 7pt buck steps out just 102 yards away settle in behind bi-pod place first mil dot above cross hair on chest touch her off. Buck ran apox. 70 yards both lungs hit 180 serria match.
Old 11-26-2001, 07:19 AM
Silver Member

It was really warm this year, 65 degree opening morning in Maryland. I was watching a nice Sika buck at about 300 yds milling around with 2 does. Just as I was ready to squeeze off they bolted out into the marsh. I was pissed. What the heck had scared them. Then I saw them. There were two foxes (one red/one grey) fighting in the thicket. As they rolled out into the field about 250 yds out, I cut one loose from the 338 Lapua and smoked both of them. Needless to say those were the only deer I saw all day. Nothing moved on our farm morning or evening.

But at least the farmers chickens and ducks will be alittle happier. So not the longest shot but 250yds on two rolling foxes. I had fun.

Matt
Old 11-26-2001, 07:26 AM
PUBLISHER

P Dog Shooter

How do you figure wind drift in a case like that? And where are you hunting in Wisconsin?

Matt

I'd trade a pretty good buck for a double on foxes any day.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-26-2001, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

No wind that morning I guess you just watch the wave action. Around the hayward area.
Old 11-26-2001, 03:12 PM
Silver Member

I was set up for my first long range deer hunt just today. I target shoot out to 1,000 yards and have also shot woodchucks out to 500 (best so far). This season I wanted to try my hand at long range deer. Unfortunately, my 2 rifles suitable for the job were both at the gunsmith. My uncle was kind enough to loan me his 1,000 yard target rifle in 7mm Dakota. I set up my portable bench and equipment while it was still dark. Upon sun up, I realized there was someone upm a tree in the area I had planned on shooting into. This area would have allowed shots up to 800 yards. Now, my only hope was a swamp and some grown up fields that offered shots up to 550. Right away, I realized the straight 24 target scope with ultra fine crosshairs wasn't going to work. After a few frustrating attempts to use this scope, it was packed up and put back into the Jeep. My dad had just shot a buck and came over to spot for me. I took his rifle, a sporterized swedish mauser in 6.5x55 with a straight four scope and set up. At 11:30, 3 does ran out into the field and stopped. Thinking that I knew the range (estimated 450), I took 3 shots using the archaic and not so efficient, "hold over" method. Didn't even make them vervous. I grabbed the range finder and they were 350 yards straight away and still standing. I had shot the gun several times at 300 so knew the drop exactly. I picked the biggest doe, held about 10 inches over and dropped her right there with a shot thru the vitals. If I would have taken the time to range them first, I'm sure it would have been a one shot deal. While this can by no means be considered long range, it was my farthest yet and also very eye opening. The load was a 120 grain ballistic tip at 2800 and killed with absolute lethality. The first thing going through my mind was, if I can make that shot with a 8 pound ex-miltary rifle and a 4 power scope with a measly 120 grain bullet, what could I have done with my custom, long range rifles? Hopefully next year I will find out!