Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Let's face the facts.............I'm too poor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 11:04 PM

Let's face the facts.............I'm too poor

Just facing cold, hard facts that I will never be able to afford a custom built rifle that I so desperately want; I love Remington guns and I will just have to settle for a factory rifle; I have decided that my caliber will be a 270; now for you ammo guru's; what do you suggest for factory ammo thru my Remington 700 ADL? Hornady, Remington, Winchester or Federal? I know each gun is different and I should shoot all kinds until I find what the rifle likes but need help to cut down on guessing; also, what style of bullet would you experts recommend?

Been hunting all of my life (51 years old) but not much knowledge on Long Range shooting; I know I will be limited b/c of a factory rifle, but hope I can at least be deadly at 300 yards; BTW, will have a nikon scope but will take any advice on that as well; in other words, just plain "green" and need some professional advice; not scared to change calibers to a 7mm mag either if you think that caliber would be better suited for longer range shooting; a BIG thank you for ANY help.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: Let's face the facts.............I'm too poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeardGhost View Post
Just facing cold, hard facts that I will never be able to afford a custom built rifle that I so desperately want; I love Remington guns and I will just have to settle for a factory rifle; I have decided that my caliber will be a 270; now for you ammo guru's; what do you suggest for factory ammo thru my Remington 700 ADL? Hornady, Remington, Winchester or Federal? I know each gun is different and I should shoot all kinds until I find what the rifle likes but need help to cut down on guessing; also, what style of bullet would you experts recommend?

Been hunting all of my life (51 years old) but not much knowledge on Long Range shooting; I know I will be limited b/c of a factory rifle, but hope I can at least be deadly at 300 yards; BTW, will have a nikon scope but will take any advice on that as well; in other words, just plain "green" and need some professional advice; not scared to change calibers to a 7mm mag either if you think that caliber would be better suited for longer range shooting; a BIG thank you for ANY help.
The experts are the other guys but...
Federal Premium seemed to work best in my Remingtons some years ago.

The 270 is great. The 7mm Mag is better for long range by quite a bit but if your hunting those thick Arkansas woods, the 270 is terrific and ammo is more reasonably priced than the 7 Mag. Even in Alaska, the average shot is less than 300 yards so I think your O.K.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:54 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

Heard this before but I'm wondering.....how much beer do ya drink?? How many packs of cigs going up in smoke and oh....how about that fishing boat and trailor ya maybe got with a 200 HP engine on the back that maybe is being pulled with a $40,000 Chevy or Ford truck?? Not saying that's what ya deal is....but I've seen it before! Ya got to set priorities man!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:59 AM
Silver Member

Let's face the facts...a custom rifle isn't necessary especially if you want to shoot 300 yards. I am no expert but a Remington 700 ADL should shoot around 1 MOA (or better) with factory ammo. A 270 should get you to 300 yards with little to no effort, other than some range time. That rifle with factory ammo should get you to 500 with NO PROBLEM. The key is to get a quality scope that will return to zero and adjust. Use the G7 ballistics program on this forum. I have had good luck with Federal Premium ammo, and good results with Remington ammo as well. Nikon makes some good scopes, just get one you can adjust.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Buddy don't feel bad but there's lots of ways to "get there on a budget".

My first recommendation would be to start saving and frequently visit the classified section here and over at Sniper's Hide. You will find some very, and I do me very good deals on quality ugraded factory rigs as well as on the occasional full custom.

Going off of what you say above I'd say the 7mm Mag is a good choice but so too would be the 300wm and 300wsm with a lean towards the 300wm. There's really nothing in N. America the 300wm will not handle with authority out to about 800yds with the exception of the big grizzlies/Kodiac bears. Even on the latter you'd have plenty of gun to get to 600yds with them.

Start out with something like a nice 700bdl or M-70 in one of those calibers and as you build experience and expertise and start stretching it out you can always upgrade off of those platforms very well and very reasonably.

I don't recommend going the pawn shop route unless you are just planing to buy one for the action and have it upgraded from there but I've gotten some real bargains off of the classified section here and at the hide.

For all you people thinking of getting started but are intimidated by the dollars...

The above thread is a very good read and you can see that a lot of us are doing this on a budget and still having very good results.

Welcome to the addiction.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd676 View Post
Let's face the facts...a custom rifle isn't necessary especially if you want to shoot 300 yards. I am no expert but a Remington 700 ADL should shoot around 1 MOA (or better) with factory ammo. A 270 should get you to 300 yards with little to no effort, other than some range time. That rifle with factory ammo should get you to 500 with NO PROBLEM. The key is to get a quality scope that will return to zero and adjust. Use the G7 ballistics program on this forum. I have had good luck with Federal Premium ammo, and good results with Remington ammo as well. Nikon makes some good scopes, just get one you can adjust.
+1 . I would like to add a little to whats already been said.
Im not sure if an ADL has been free floated or not , but that would help accuracy if you removed the stock and did it your self . Its cheap to do . I have done it to my rifle and a friends and I could tell it helped on the factory rifle. You want go wrong with a remmy
Old 08-15-2012, 04:33 AM
Silver Member

A word to the wise if your shooting federal premium in your rifle your not to poor to build a custom rifle. I shoot several different disciplines of competition shooting and in my experience a good reliable return to zero scope coupled with a tuned low sd. load, decent understanding of condition and how to correct for it, and a accurate ballistic chart will get further ahead of the game than dumping the huge dollars on the rifle. most of the time its the operator that causes the miss not the rifle. I do however drop the money on the custom built rifles.