Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Lessons learned. Now your advice on equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lessons learned. Now your advice on equipment.

Good info already on the NXS and Swaro rangefinders go with them.

Solid 20 MOA base and lot of extra good rings that will work quite well for under $100.

As for the rifle, I would recommend a hard hitting but relatively easy to work with load for the first one. IMO that certainly leaves out exotic wildcats, custom dies and specialty bullets.

New to reloading you do not need or will not want a one bullet gun that require extra fast twists for specialty, expensive and impossible to get at times bullets.

338 Edge with Hornady 285s or the 300 SMK

300 Weatherby with chamber cut to headspace on the shoulder. Very common for a competant LR smith. Use the existing 210s, new Hornady 208 (not the Amax) or the new 225s.

Both have existing dies and relatively easy to reload.

For the money especially the new Tooley Orion action cannot be beat. It just has too many standard features compared to the competition. Under $850 delivered with trued lug, with fluted bolt with Sako or M16 extractor that is melonite coated and threaded bolt handle. Either bolt and port config and butter smooth.

Tooley Orion action pics as requested.

Defiance actions are absolutely top notch also.

I absolutely would not build a top notch rig on a tweaked 700. Waste of money compared to the new customs. will cost as much, not be as reliable and worth half what you paid 30 seconds after you walk out the gunsmiths door.

Manners stocks or even the Stockys LR Bobby Hart model (do not order it pillared, have your smith do it). The stockys stock for $300 ready to go is one hell of a deal and very good.

Order the Jewell 1.5 lb trigger.

Smiths, I would highly recommend Dave Tooley in NC, John Myer In VA (both Top Recommended smiths off 6mmbr.com and I have used both), Jeff Walker at Walker Custom Rifles in VA (top LR competitor and shooter and I use him routinely) and Kevin Cram In PA. If you decide on the 338 Edge, go to Shawn Carlock. It is his cartidge, he knows it best, does great work and stocks the dies.

BH
Old 03-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post

As for the rifle, I would recommend a hard hitting but relatively easy to work with load for the first one. IMO that certainly leaves out exotic wildcats, custom dies and specialty bullets.

New to reloading you do not need or will not want a one bullet gun that require extra fast twists for specialty, expensive and impossible to get at times bullets.

338 Edge with Hornady 285s or the 300 SMK

300 Weatherby with chamber cut to headspace on the shoulder. Very common for a competant LR smith. Use the existing 210s, new Hornady 208 (not the Amax) or the new 225s.

I absolutely would not build a top notch rig on a tweaked 700. Waste of money compared to the new customs. will cost as much, not be as reliable and worth half what you paid 30 seconds after you walk out the gunsmiths door.

If you decide on the 338 Edge, go to Shawn Carlock. It is his cartidge, he knows it best, does great work and stocks the dies.

BH
I agree with most of your advise, but am a little confused on a couple of things.

What would you call "exotic wildcats" and "specialty bullets"?

If you're referring to the 300-338 RUM, it is no more exotic or difficult than the 338-300 RUM (EDGE). Very simple to do. You also recommended Shawn Carlock, which I think is a great recommendation, but all his "custom" rifle packages are built on tweaked 700's. The dies he offers are Redding Comp dies, custom made for the EDGE. They will be very similar in cost and quality to the Honrady Custom Match Grade dies I am ordering for my 300-338 RUM, $190 for the dies and $20 for the micrometer stem and my dies will be spec'd for the min SAAMI chamber in my rifle based on reamer drawing. It ain't rocket science. Pretty straight forward stuff. I will have to pay for the reamer, but my project when done will have the same 1/2 MOA guarantee that Shawn or any other quality smith offer, with or without custom action, and at a very reasonable price. Would I prefer a custom action? You bet I would. Will a custom action shoot better than my tweaked Howa or Rem? Maybe, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Better resale value? I could sell my $1500 project for a $1000 and you could sell a $3000 custom job for $2500. Be it a full custom or semi-custom, it is very difficult to get back what you put in to it. I don't build a rifle with the idea of selling it, I build it for my purposes only.

I'm not necessarily advising the OP do a 300-338 RUM, but that is the best option I see for doing a repeater seating GS 177 bullets and it will outperform any other 30 cal repeater out there, including a 300-338 LM Imp shooting 210 Bergers or 208 Hornadys, by a long shot. I am trying to get him to understand the thought process involved in setting your LR goal and achieving it.

The 300 Wby is a great cartridge, but it will not get the OP to 1200 yds (unless he uses special bullets and powder) I have a NIB Sub MOA Vanguard SS 300 Wby with a factory shot target that measures about .35" right now that I'll be glad to sell to him for $800 plus shipping which is at least $100 less than could be found on Gunbroker. That said, if he wants to get to 1200 yds in a 30 cal he needs a 300 RUM (EDIT: or 30-338 Wby) with a good bullet and a good load. For that length cartridge, he will likely have to short throat the chamber in order to seat a high BC bullet and have a repeater.

On "specialty bullets"... we spend a lot of time talking about bullets in LRH. The right bullets make the distance possible. There are only two things that matter in getting down range and those are BC and Velocity. As one of our members has so very profoundly put it, "there are good hunting bullets and good LR bullets, but very few (if any) good LR hunting bullets". For the 30 cal, there is simply no better LR hunting bullet than the GS 177, it will far out distance anything else available period. It has better internal and external ballistics than anything and better terminal ballistics at both close and long range. What's not to like? -...except the price. Again, personal choice, but if you want to hunt to 1200 yds with a 30 cal, the best way to do it is the GS 177.

The OP obviously believes in quality and getting the job done right the first time. Buy once, cry once, but at the same time get value for your dollar.

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 03-27-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I agree with most of your advise, but am a little confused on a couple of things.

What would you call "exotic wildcats" and "specialty bullets"?

If you're referring to the 300-338 RUM, it is no more exotic or difficult than the 338-300 RUM (EDGE).

So I'm a little confused as why you would go 300-338 RUM, when you could just get the 300RUM? What's the difference?

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
So I'm a little confused as why you would go 300-338 RUM, when you could just get the 300RUM? What's the difference?

Tank
Tank, the difference is 60 thousandths plus wiggle room. The GS bullet must be seated a minum of 1.030", nose to neck and the 300 RUM case is 2.850 inches long. That adds up to a COAL of 3.880" which is .060" longer than the Wyatt's extended mag box (3.820"). I can neck the 338 Rum down to 2.740" and that adds up to a COAL of 3.770 which gives me .050" of wiggle room.

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 03-27-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Tank, the difference is 60 thousandths plus wiggle room. The GS bullet must be seated a minum of 1.030", nose to neck and the 300 RUM case is 2.850 inches long. That adds up to a COAL of 3.880" which is .060" longer than the Wyatt's extended mag box (3.820"). I can neck the 338 Rum down to 2.740" and that adds up to a COAL of 3.770 which gives me .050" of wiggle room.
That is sticking out there a ways. How much of the bullet is in the neck? So I assume you need to throat it long?

Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

Once agin, I thank yal very much for this great input. Am I to understand that a 338 Edge is a 338 cal. bullet in a 300rum casing? Thank's, Brad
Old 03-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBrad View Post
Once agin, I thank yal very much for this great input. Am I to understand that a 338 Edge is a 338 cal. bullet in a 300rum casing? Thank's, Brad

Yep, your understanding is correct.

Tank