Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Len's Montana mule deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2004, 04:02 AM
PUBLISHER

Len\'s Montana mule deer

Here are pictures of my Montana mule deer and of the scene where I shot it a week or so ago. The deer was located just behind the white bush in the foreground. The little white spot across the valley shows the ridge where I and the guide, Rory, were set up for the shot...583 yards away. In my left hand is a shed we found a few yards from the deer's bedding spot. We waited for the buck to stand to get a clear shot.

We were in the Missouri River Breaks region of eastern Montana and judging the wind was a challange. The wind was straight into our faces at the time of the shot. The guide (right about everything else that day just like my wife) said he thought the wind was straight on all the way out to the deer...on average. I disagreed and held off by 1 moa. Drift ended up being even a little more on the deer's chest. It took about 30 minutes to work our way over to the deer. While standing on the ridge, it was quite informative to look down in three different directions. By throwing grass up, I watched the wind's effect and learned a little more about the complexity of judging in the midst of intersecting valleys.

This is the most beautiful setup I have ever had for a shot...by far. Just spectacular scenery! The outfitter has a great operation with bigger deer if I had been patient enough to hold out longer. We saw 20 bucks per day. But as you know, for me, the shot setup is as important as the size of the animal. As it turns out, the next two days after I left were very foggy with 200 yard visibility so my timing was good anyway.

The outfitter is Scott Sundheim of Souix Pass Outfitters and this was my second trip with him. I'll be back next year.

Sioux Pass Outfitters

Guaranteed landowner tags are available. His land is absolutely perfect for the long range deer hunter. (By the way, if anyone knows of good outfitter long range elk hunting land let me know)

[ 11-04-2004: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-04-2004, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Len\'s Montana mule deer

Congratulations Len. Sounds like a good hunt and a GREAT shot.

Can't wait till I get out west.

You didn't mention what you were shooting. I guess with the blaze orange vest that you weren't bowhunting.
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Bronze Member

Great job!

What rifle did you use?
Old 11-04-2004, 05:15 PM
SPONSOR

I was hoping you'd finally get around to posting some photos and details. Glad to see they treated you right out here in N.E. Montana. Congrats on your kill and long shot.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Len,

Gongrats on a great shot and trophy.

That country out in the breaks can make a guy feel real small at times can't it. Like you said, perfect country for long range hunting.

I'm glad you were successful in my home state of Montana.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-04-2004, 06:24 PM
PUBLISHER

Thanks, guys.

I was shooting my Chris Matthews built 7mm Dakota. Nesika Bay action, McMillan A-5 stock, 28 inch Schneider barrel, 176 grain Cauterucio bullet, Nightforce 5.5 to 22x scope, Harris bipod, Swarovski ATS 20-60 power spotting scope and Leica Locator Plus rangefinder.

Gosh, I am so happy with the tactical style of stock. I could never go back to an ordinary hunting rifle stock for this type of shooting.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-04-2004, 08:39 PM
Gold Member

Nice looking muley and good shooting
Crow Mag