Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Legal Question Folding stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Bronze Member

Legal Question Folding stock

Can't seem to find out if its legal to have a folding stock on a pistol or rifle . I have one on a Thompson Contender pistol that I use calling coyotes . And what the shortest barrel I can have on a rifle. Anyone know the answer ?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Gold Member

Re: Legal Question Folding stock

Don't know Iowa law, but as far as the Feds are concerned, if the barrel is over 16" and the gun in it's shortest configuration is at least 26" overall it is considered a Short Stocked rifle, no tax stamp required.
If you put a shoulder stock on a pistol with less than a 16" barrel you have a problem. Then you would need a stamp from BATF for $200.00.

The link below will give "some" guidance as to the kinds of weapons that require a transfer tax.

Not a lawyer or and ATF agent, just info I found trying to answer my own questions.

Dave

ATF Online - Firearms - Guides - Identification of Firearms
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 12-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Silver Member

Re: Legal Question Folding stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eye View Post
Can't seem to find out if its legal to have a folding stock on a pistol or rifle . I have one on a Thompson Contender pistol that I use calling coyotes . And what the shortest barrel I can have on a rifle. Anyone know the answer ?
16" with an overall length of 26" from tip of barrel to the butt of the unfolded stock. if you want to build an sbr (short barreled rifle) you'll need to go threw the batfe and pay a 200 dollar tax for a stamp.